Drew Barrymore has more or less been on the Hollywood scene since birth, having come from a long line of actors that includes the great John Barrymore. Since getting her first big break at the age of seven in E.T., she’s gone on to blaze her own trail, starring in countless films and creating her own production company with Flower films, never looking back… until now, that is!
For her cover interview with InStyle, Barrymore, 42, took on styles from her days as a rambunctious pre-teen, recreating them down to a tee, and the resulting photos (shot by Anthony Maule) are nothing short of magic.
Check out some of the Santa Clarita Diet star’s best recreations below!
1. Little Woman: This Chanel getup, complete with plenty of Coco’s pearls and an Alix bodysuit, was taken from an ensemble the child actor originally donned for a mother-daughter fashion show back in the early 80s. “My mom dressed me like an 80-year-old woman,” she recalls. “But I was 6!” Now, the snap reminds her of her own daughter, Olive. “That’s my daughter Olive’s body, 100 percent!” she exclaimed.
2. Flower Power: For this look straight out of another time period (literally — Barrymore rocked the pale pink bucket hat emblazoned with flowers for a Vanity Fair magazine shoot in 1984), the mother of two borrowed a hat from stylist Catherine Newell Hanson to pair with a Michael Kors Collection pullover.
2. A True Artiste: Dressed in an Oscar de la Renta top and Simone Rocha hair clips, the First Dates narrator took us back to her days as a graffiti-clad fashionista. “This T-shirt was everything to me,” she remembered. “I wore it to every place, party, school event, until the appliqués actually disintegrated.”
3. Mini Diva: Even as a kid, the actress was a fashionista, strutting her stuff in a fur stole and a tiered gown on the red carpet. For her modern take, she pared things down with a pink tulle skirt and a white top, which she covered up with a white, Yeti-like shawl and a single strand of pearls.
4. Wild Child: With a scrunched-up face and a head full of wild curls, Barrymore channeled herself as she was in her youth while posing for stylist Ara Gallant. “My mom was good friends with all of these amazing photographers,” she explained. “Posing for them was a privilege.” It was a freeing experience for the entrepreneur, who recalled, “I didn’t care about how it looked. I cared about how it felt.”
5. Old Friends: Clad in Céline, the starlet also got her pic snapped with a miniature Mr. T, who she palled around with as a little girl in the early ‘80s. “You were very nice and super cool, and it was very cool that I got to meet you, cause everyone loved you,” she quips to the doll in a too-cute-for-words vid from the shoot.
What a way to ring in the new year!
Which of Drew’s recreations is your fave? Share with us over @BritandCo.
(Photo via Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty)