12 Essentials to Take Your Photo Skills to the Next Level
Photography is everywhere, from cool blogs to creative baby photos to magazines and so much in between. It only makes sense that you’re looking to take some of your own killer shots. If mastering your camera is on your list of things to learn, we’ve got all the photo essentials you need right here. Bonus: They make excellent photography gifts for yourself or someone you love!
1. Jenna Kutcher’s Intro to DSLR Photography Online Class ($39): If you’ve ever picked up a digital camera and been a little bit overwhelmed by all the knobs and buttons, this class is for you. It’ll de-mysitfy the DSLR camera and have you taking pretty pictures in no time.
2. Irene Kim Shepherd’s How to Crush It on Instagram Online Class ($29): One of the reasons to take good photos is to throw ’em on Insta’ and share them with the people we love, near and far. Whatever your reason is, this class will help you get the traction you’re looking for.
3. Sunnylife Bronte Underwater Camera ($20): Under the sea shots are just as worthy as above agua photos. Add this versatile baby to your arsenal, and you’ll never be limited by a little bit of moisture again.
4. Impossible Polaroid 600 Camera + Film Set ($122): If you want to get started with photography, Polaroids are one of the most stress-free and fun-filled ways to do it. So much of it is out of your control — you gotta just point, shoot and see what happens.
5. Modern Scrapbooking Online Class and Kit ($49): Once you’ve got those epic shots, learn how to incorporate them into the memories you’ll keep for the rest of your life with this class and kit. It’ll get you on the ground and running in just a little bit more than the time it takes you to snap a photo.
6. Photojojo Phoneography Starter Kit ($30): If you don’t want to invest in a camera, but want to have a little more than your phone’s factory lens at your disposal, grab this phoneography starter kit. It’ll give your images an extra kick, and it’s all super fun to use too.
7. Sakura Considine’s Adobe Lightroom Online Class ($39): Once you’ve got good shots, the next step is figuring out how to edit them. This class will teach you how to edit to perfection in Adobe Lightroom.
8. Casetify Bluetooth Selfie Stick ($35): Selfies are all the rage, and they don’t seem to be going out of style anytime soon. If you really want good shots of you and your crew, investing in a selfie stick is the way to go.
9. Photojojo Polarizer Lens ($20): This little gadget blocks light rays at specific angles to give you the most crisp and clean images you’ve ever taken with your phone… ever. One huge bonus is that it’s tiny and mega portable, so you don’t have to worry about hauling some big piece of equipment around to get good shots.
10. Impossible Instant Lab Photo Printer and Film Set ($193): Never be chained to one place when it comes to printing photos again with this wonderfully portable printer and film set. Transform your phone photos to IRL images in a flash!
11. Photojojo Magnetic Photo Rope ($12): Once you’ve shot, edited and printed your glorious images, the next task is finding a lovely way to show them all off. This photo rope utilizes magnets, so your images are never damaged.
12. Intro to Travel Photography Online Class ($33): Hold on to those fab vacation memories with the help of this class. You’ll be racking up the likes on Insta in no time.
What are your photo taking must haves? Tell us about ’em on Twitter @BritandCo!
Back in January, we introduced you to a feel-good cause to inspire your New Year's resolution: a walking challenge to help raise funds for the amazing cancer fighters at The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I took part in the challenge with the Brit + Co team and ended up walking 105+ miles in January — it was awesome.
This spring, there's a new challenge on the horizon, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Big Climb. The ask: On May 15, 2021, you can step up to take cancer down by committing to climb 1,311 steps, walking 3.2 miles, or doing 440 chair step-ups at home as part of the Big Climb. If you need some motivation to bring movement back into your daily routine — look no further!
As always, it's free to sign up, but climbers are encouraged to set a fundraising goal to help beat cancer. We'll be organizing another Brit + Co team to step up, and I hope you'll join us too! Keep scrolling for a peek at where I'll be completing the challenge in my Los Angeles neighborhood around the hidden Silver Lake Stairs. Happy climbing!
Never underestimate the power of an accountability buddy! I asked my in-laws, my partner, and a few friends to join me so we can keep each other motivated and accountable in completing the challenge — virtual high-fives all around! Also, my dog Fox is a great climber, too.
An aesthetically pleasing backdrop is a huge motivator for me! I'm fortunate to have all sorts of painted steps around my neighborhood to keep the challenge interesting, but you can also keep cool inside with at-home chair step-ups.
Don't forget to share your progress on social — #BigClimb!
Feel free to break the challenge up if you need to by tackling half the distance in the AM and half at sunset. Here's me 1,311 steps later and ready for a break — but, think I earned this one!