Now that we know what everyone will be pinning and wearing on the red carpet for 2018, we can turn to Etsy to find out what DIY-ers are creating, crafting, gifting, and snatching up for themselves. With close to two million makers in their network, the e-commerce site was able to garner a pretty good idea of what will be hot for the New Year, and lucky for us, they’re willing to share. Check out the top five trends that will be taking over our feeds (and our hearts!) for the next 365 days below!
1. Home Decor — Wabi-Sabi: When it comes to home decor, we’ve already got our eye on a few new trends to try (think fringe, brass, and linen decor), but Etsy gave us one more in the form of wabi-sabi: an ancient Japanese worldview we can vibe with all year long. If you’re still not sure what the heck it is, allow the site to explain. According to them, wabi-sabi is “perfectly imperfect,” and emphasizes “organic materials, softly textured fabrics, and natural shapes galore (Think lots of handmade ceramics, slightly wrinkled linen, and gently marked wood details). It’s cozy and lived-in, while also being chic and elegant, like the pictured TerreFermePottery white speckled organic pottery bowls ($90) pictured above and this speckled white mug ($25).
2. Jewelry — Choker Revamp: Chokers have been trending for a few years now (just ask Laguna Beach babe Kristin Cavallari, who claimed she kick-started the modern choker trend in her high school days), but they’re getting a makeover in the New Year, with the ’90s-inspired accessories adding striking details such as fringe, medallions, and quartz stones. This In Reverie Moonstruck Wrap Choker ($50), most definitely fits the bill.
3. Jewelry — Mix-and-Match Earrings: 2017 may have been the year of mismatched heels, but 2018 is all about the mismatched earrings! It seems this eclectic, asymmetrical look will be all the rage this year, and we are HERE for its versatility. Whether you accidentally picked an off pair before you grabbed your coffee or simply felt like wearing a hoop with a dangler, you’re free to choose earrings in different colors, shapes, or sizes to make a style statement all your own. We happen to like these Reason To Be Pretty mismatched wood earrings ($40).
4. Weddings — Jumpsuits: We predicted this trend after seeing the stunning custom Christian Siriano look Laura Morelli walked down the aisle in when she wed Samira Wiley last spring, and now, Etsy says the year’s most coveted wedding dresses won’t be dresses at all…they’ll be pantsuits. Looks like Rachel Lindsay will be in good company. Might we suggest this Sophia Open Back Jumpsuit ($595)?
5. Color — Ultra Violet: This one shouldn’t come as much of a surprise, what with Pantone naming Ultra Violet its Color of the Year and all. Etsy says we’ll be seeing this vibrant purple hue all over everything in the months to come, and we’re inclined to agree — stock up on this Superior Paint Co. Ultra Violet Chalk Furniture and Cabinet Paint Hue (from $6) and get to work!
Which trend are you most excited about this year? Share over @BritandCo.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Photos via Etsy)