Cue the closet clean-out — it’s officially fall, and that means it’s time to finally put your favorite summer pieces to rest (unless you’re still doing the transitional dressing thing in full-on It-girl fashion) in favor of those newly acquired fall wardrobe staples (think: show-stopping ankle boots, all velvet everything and an enviable arsenal of autumnal jackets and coats). While the warm weather season takes a more bare-it-all approach to dressing, fall is all about playing the layering game, and to come out on top, you need the right pieces on hand. We’ve compiled a list of must-have layering essentials that will keep you cozy and your style on fleek straight through to spring. Scroll on for 19 versatile pieces to scoop up now.
1. ASOS Oversized Woven Square Scarf In Color Block & Stripe ($30): Crisp air, colorful foliage and Fashion Week aside, the best part of fall is — without a doubt — finally having the opportunity to wrap yourself up in an oversized scarf. Teamed with color patterns and eye-catching embroidery, the snuggly accessory has the power to effortlessly transform lazy-girl essentials into a chic ensemble in two seconds flat. The only thing missing? Statement shades and a wide-brim felt hat.
2. Free People Colorblock Swit Mini Dress ($148): For work or play, a throw-on-and-go sweater dress is the key to a foolproof fall #OOTD. Team it with velvet boots, a biker jacket and asymmetric earrings for a casual first date, or slip on a pair of tailored crop flares and Mary Janes for the office. Either way, you can’t go wrong.
3. Zara Poplin Shirt ($50): You really can’t fault a good ol’ white shirt — the wear-anywhere essential kills it both on-duty and off, bringing an air of class, sophistication and It-girl cool to just about any item in your wardrobe. Looking to step up your GNO getup? Simply pair the timeless staple with leather trousers, ankle-strap heels and a dramatic red pout.
4. Marc Fischer LTD Yenna Over the Knee Boot ($229): Enter your latest hero piece: over-the-knee boots. Beyond their ability to make everything from skinny jeans to mini skirts look straight-up fly, they serve as a seriously stylish extra layer, keeping those gorgeous gams toasty in the face of less-than-ideal conditions. Partner with a flirty floral dress and layered gold bolo for a cool-weather take on a dreamy festival-ready look.
5. Elizabeth and James Iris Felt Coat ($268): Gray days don’t have anything on this lovely lilac number. Between the cool pastel hue, soft felt and masculine shape, it’s a winner all around. Make it pop by pairing it with bold burgundy hues.
6. Madewell Cityblock Mockneck Dress ($98): Consider this effortless swing dress the answer to all your fall fashion woes. It’s a blank slate that can pull day or night duty, flawlessly stepping out with sleeveless blazers or shimmery stiletto heels.
7. Wilfred Huet T-Shirt ($55): When it comes to layering, turtlenecks always come out on top. By day, wear this ribbed number alongside a pair of high-waisted jeans, suede loafers and a buckled cross-body bag. After hours, turn up the heat with a burgundy slip dress, velvet platforms and a glitzy box bag.
8. Cartonnier Into the Woods Fleece Poncho ($188): Usher in sweater weather and laid-back weekends snuggled up by a roaring fire with a red hot cape that would make any Instababe swoon. Proceed to step up your style game with wide-leg trousers and new-age hoops for an after-work outing with your BFF.
9. Forever21 Fishnet Socks ($4): Okay, so these semi-sheer socks won’t exactly ward off the cold, but what they will do is give ankle-baring steppers a slightly more autumnal feel — and rack up a few extra style points while they’re at it. Slip them on with a sleek LBD and bomber jacket for a bombshell look with edge.
10. Azalea V-Neck Suedey Tank Top ($59): A trusty tank is a wardrobe workhorse that will never let you down. For fall, upgrade your go-to cotton style to a luxe suede option in a soft dusty rose hue. Layered under cardigans or tucked into pleated midi skirts, it looks downright DDG. French-girl top knots and modern drop earrings are obligatory.
11. H&M Slim-Fit Treggings ($18): When it’s too cool for tights, opt for a pair of treggings (trouser leggings) to turn lightweight tunics and mini dresses into foolproof fall ensembles. Major bonus: Teamed with an oversized button-down, a sleeveless blazer and Oxfords, you can totally get away with rockin’ these bad boys at the office.
12. J.Crew Regent Blazer ($198): It doesn’t get any more classic than this. A blazer is a straight shot to a polished look, with this fitted longline style pulling together an outfit like that — zero effort required. Other than winning you mad style points at your nine-to-five, it’ll keep you warm on brisk morning commutes — just add an oversized scarf and you’re good to go.
13. ASOS Ultimate Chunky Cardigan ($46): Be it a glamping getaway with the girls or a lazy afternoon spent curled up with a good read, this cozy cardi brings just the right amount of fall feels to any just-kickin’-it getup. Test drive it on your next weekend excursion with gray distressed jeans, Chelsea boots and a ditsy floral blouse.
14. H&M Trenchcoat ($99): Coffee runs, the weekend farmers’ market and your morning commute — this trusty trench does it all. The timeless style will keep the outfit blahs at bay whatever the occasion calls for.
15. Stateside Henley Tee ($88): It’s time to channel your inner lazy girl this fall, parting ways with that perfectly polished button-down for your latest layering secret weapon — the henley. Toss it on with a denim skirt, shearling-lined jacket and combat boots for a rock concert or a laid-back house party with your squad.
16. Hansel from Basel Cashmere Tight ($40): If you’re going to wear tights, you might as well do it right. Treat yo’ self this season with a pair of seriously soft cashmere tights that will make even the most frigid of days feel like a walk in paradise (well, almost). Layer them under twirl-worthy skirts or, for some major warmth, pop ‘em under a pair of wide-leg trousers.
17. Mango Oversize Sweater ($70): Enter the oversized sweater that will inspire you to adopt a laid-back ‘tude and fuss-free look this fall. The billowy silhouette is a lazy girl’s dream, and looks just as ah-mazing tucked into jacquard high-waisted trousers as it does worn over a chic metallic skirt. #YAS
18. Wilfred Rubel Sweater ($135): Introducing the next best thing to a warm and cozy blanket. While the merino wool and super soft cashmere make this side-split tunic feel straight-up luxurious, it’s the wear-with-everything potential that has us swooning hard. Our favorite way to wear it? With a long-sleeve floral dress, metallic belt and pointed-toe ankle boots.
19. Mango Zip-Detail Leather Biker Jacket ($229): Calling all self-proclaimed cool girls: THIS is the rock goddess staple you need in your arsenal. This classic leather jacket is just the thing to inject a note of don’t-mess edge into your snuggliest separates.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.