10 Can’t-Live-Without Fashion Fixes That Were Created for (and by) Women
Let’s hear it for the ladies! We rarely — if ever — miss the opportunity to spotlight all the trailblazing women in our lives out there doing amazing things. And by amazing, we mean solving everyday problems plaguing women everywhere. Like when you’re in a pinch and need deodorant towelettes and double-sided tape on the go. Or when you’re on the verge of a wardrobe malfunction (been there, done that), and could use that little-known something (ahem, Spanx) to help save the day. Ahead, you’ll find 10 fashion and lifestyle fixes that were created by and for women. From smaller startups to side hustles, these female-founded fashion brands have blossomed into full-fledged businesses.
1. Sphynx: Forgot to shave? No problem. Self-proclaimed SHE-EO Leila Kashani Manshoory read every busy girl’s mind when she prototyped her idea for Sphynx. The Sphynx Pink Me Up 3-in-1 Portable Razor ($15) includes two razor blades, a refillable water spray bottle, and a moisturizing pre-shave bar to make shaving on the go a breeze — should you be en route to a high-stakes business meeting, the gym, or a hot date.
2. Pinch Provisions: What started out as a mother-daughter venture between Jamie Kaplan and her mother Georgette has officially grown into a full-fledged business — now serving over two million women and counting — of shemergency kits stocked with all those little extras you need stat. Make a splash (pun intended) with the Pinch Provisions Pool Party Kit ($14) complete with everything from an emergency drink umbrella to a floatie repair patch (#priorities).
3. Dress Downs: Raise your hand if you’ve ever been personally victimized by the wind on a gusty day by having the hem of your dress unexpectedly blow up. Girllll, we feel ya. After experiencing her very own Marilyn Monroe moment (in the Windy City, no less), Simone Magee, a native Floridian-turned-Chicagoan, founded Dress Downs ($12). Easy as peel, place, and go, these reusable garment weights can be applied to the inside hem of your dress for a stress-free commute.
4. Commando: You need not be a Hollywood starlet to reap the benefits that come along with rocking Commando to your next formal or summer soiree. Kerry O’Brien, the driving force behind the intimates line known for its seamless “invisible underwear,” simply wants all women to look and feel fabulous from the bottom on up. Ditch the VPL (visible panty lines) with this cheeky Commando Cherries Thong ($26) that’ll be a fit for all your summer-ready frocks.
5. Solemates: Calling all well-heeled ladies! Gear up for a season of outdoor weddings and shindigs with a set of Solemates’ Heel Protectors ($25). The OG crystal clear heel stoppers — founded by Monica Ferguson and Becca Brown — are a discreet way to protect your stilettos from, er, potentially tricky situations, whether it be wobbly cobblestone streets, city sidewalk grates, or grass.
6. Hollywood Secret: We turn to founders Jane Dailey and Marni Bumsted for the fast fashion fix that err’body should have on standby. Hollywood Fashion Secrets’ best-selling Hollywood Fashion Tape ($11) remains celeb stylists’ #1 choice, and for good reason. Known to perform undercover wardrobe magic, the clear double-stick fashion tape can be used to secure plunging necklines and keep more risqué pieces (think: backless summer tops and barely-there gowns) in place.
7. Bagnet: Public restrooms without a bag hook should be a crime, amirite? Bagnet founder Kelley Daring set out to rescue handbags everywhere with her line of luxury magnetic key fobs that double as impromptu handbag holders. How it works: Once the Emma Bagnet ($25) has been fastened to your purse strap, the strong magnets will then attach to a bathroom stall door, a barstool, or any table base to create a portable hook.
8. The Handbag Raincoat: YOU GUYS. Handbag raincoats do exist… all thanks to Morgan Sarner and her experience with big-city living. Should you find yourself caught in a torrential downpour, allow The Handbag Raincoat Star Print With Benefits ($18) — made to fit any medium-sized handbag — to come to the rescue. Complete with a top velcro seam, this rainy day topper is an efficient (and chic) way to protect your stylish carryalls from Mother Nature’s elements.
9. Spanx: “It all started with a pair of pantyhose, some scissors, and a bright idea.” And so, Spanx was born. With a mission to help empower and elevate women everywhere, Sara Blakely’s line of confidence-boosting slimming shapewear — a cult-favorite fashion fix on and off the red carpet — has since expanded to include bras, underwear and, most recently, activewear. Allow this Spanx Workout to Waves Mesh Panel Sports Bra ($58) to accompany you to your next spinning class.
10. Bandalettes: Having struggled with uncomfortable thigh chafing for years, Julia Abasova joined forces with now business partner Rena Abramoff to establish Bandalettes ($17), the covetable lingerie addition that’s about to change the way you dress. Promoting self-love and encouraging confidence with each wear, the lace thigh bands featuring anti-slip silicone technology are designed to prevent the irritation that comes along with wearing a dress or skirt on a balmy summer day.
Which of these #girlboss-founded lifestyle fixes do you swear by? Follow us on Pinterest for more styling tips!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)