Granny Chic: 17 Badass Ways to Wear Crochet, Pearls and More
If you haven’t hopped on the granny-chic style train yet, what are you waiting for? Yes, we are being totally serious. Nana-cool is a thing, people, and it’s taking the fashion world by storm. From the runway to celebs and fashion bloggers, it seems chunky knitted cover-ups and printed midi skirts are all the rage right now, not to mention crazy fur coats and jewel-tone brooches that make every store seem like you’re playing dress up in grandma’s closet. But when styled right, these vintage-feeling pieces can end up looking completely modern, if not fashion-forward (how’s that for a time warp?). So whip out that crochet blouse GramGram sent for your birthday — she was on to something. Here are 18 ways to ace the granny-chic style trend.
3. Crochet Squares: Nothing screams granny more than a crocheted sweater. Pair yours with badass cargo pants and statement jewelry like street style queen Taylor Tomasi Hill. (via Anti-Misanthropy Blog)
5. Pearls and Handkerchief: Modest pearl earrings get a wicked cool upgrade as an edgy ear cuff (Pearls, edgy? It’s true!). Tie on a silk handkerchief for color — granny’ll love how you’re putting her collection to use! (via WWD)
6. Satchel Handbag: Like Taylor, Nana also depends on her structured satchel bag for her everyday needs. We have a feeling that yours won’t be filled with Werther’s Originals, though. (via Teen Vogue)
8. Heirloom Cardigan: It may resemble your grandma’s quirky crochet throw, but paired with Chanel and biker-style heels, it makes it one killer layer. Plus, it’s perfect for snuggling up in when you’re on the go. (via Monika Fashion)
9. Working With Lace: Lace often gets its praise from bohemian-inspired looks, but this high-neck, vintage-feeling outfit caught our style eye. Channel this It girl’s outfit by taking advantage of its sheer nature and wear it over a slinky cami. (via Harper’s BAZAAR)
10. Go Floral: Don’t shy away from bold floral dresses and patterned co-ords. Embrace the all-over print — the more playful, the better. Kick it up another notch by adding punchy accessories (MORE floral!). (via StyleCarrot)
12. Pile on the Trends: If you’re feeling really daring, pile on the granny shoes, day dress, faux fur, brooch, bag and hat (oh my!) for a full-on granny look a la editor Miroslava Duma. Owning it is key. Do it for your grandma. (via ELLE)
13. Classic Houndstooth: The classic print has seen many fashionable reincarnations as of late, but we still love the old-school black and white version. Over head-to-toe chambray, you can’t go wrong. (via Victoria Adamson)
15. Tweed Chanel Jacket: Ah, the classic and oh-so-chic Chanel jacket. If you have one of these, or even a close look-a-like ($95) you’re golden! It’s a timeless piece both you and your granny could get down with. (via The Fashion Tag)
17. Sweet Embroidery: After swooning over this jacket, we bet you wish you saved all those sweet embroidered dresses and jackets your Grandma made when you were a kid. Fret not if you didn’t, there’s a tutorial for that. (via ELLE)
Are you a fan of scouring Granny’s closet for vintage treasures? What’s the best thing you’ve ever found in her wardrobe? Share in the comments!