What Halle Berry + 9 More Celebrities Are Reading Right Now
March may have been National Reading Month, but celebrities with a voracious appetite for literature (Emma Watson, who started her own book club, to name one) are keeping its sentiment alive well into April by giving us some serious book envy on Instagram. Devouring everything from classics like Toni Morrison’s Love (Halle Berry) to the next big thing in YA lit (Jules Hough, Sarah Jessica Parker and Jessica Alba), stars are showing off their intellectual side with these surprising picks. Check out these 10 celebrities’ must-read books below!
1. Halle Berry: Halle shared this pic of herself with Toni Morrison’s Love ($11) while cozied up in her favorite spot to read — her bed. She’s encouraging us all to do the same by creating her very own hashtag for the project, #HBBooksfrombed. “I’m passionate about reading,” she says. “I’d love to have a place where I can share my favorite books and why they move me and where YOU can share the books that move you.” So far, so good: The tag is up to 89 posts and counting. We’re SO on board!
2. Julianne Hough, Sarah Jessica Parker and Jessica Alba: Jessica Alba, Julianne Hough AND SJP are ‘gramming about pal Adam Shankman’s YA novel, Girl About Town ($12), co-authored with Laura L. Sullivan. You know this is sure to be the must-read of the summer for adults of all ages.
3. Emma Watson: As the ringleader of her very own book club, we’re not surprised to see Ms. Watson sharing her literary picks online. Keeping with her feminist theme (her first club pick was Gloria Steinem’s My Life on the Road ($17), she’s chosen Caitlin Moran’s Moranifesto ($15) as April’s read. Solid choice, Emma!
4. Demi Lovato: Forget the beach reads — Demi takes on weightier material with Kimberly Williams-Paisley’s Where the Light Gets In: Losing My Mother Only to Find Her Again ($15), about one woman’s struggle with a family member’s dementia. “It really hits home for me and also so many others,” Demi says. “Thank you for writing this.”
5. Drew Barrymore and Nicole Richie: Both Drew and Nicole shared snaps of themselves with gal pal (make that sis-in-law to Nicole!) Cameron Diaz’s new release with Sandra Bark, The Longevity Book: The Science of Aging, the Biology of Strength, and the Privilege of Time ($17). And yes, they really did read it. Nicole writes “by starting a new conversation on aging and the privilege of time, [Cameron] took me from feeling like a grandma to a bottle of scotch.” Best. Review. Ever.
6. Emma Roberts: Emma gets all philosophical on us with her selection of Claire Bidwell Smith’s After This: When Life Is Over, Where Do We Go? ($18), simply captioned #currentlyreading.
7. Taylor Schilling: Judging by her caption, OITNB’s Taylor Schilling has all the feels after reading Augusten Burrough’s Lust & Wonder: A Memoir ($16). “With astounding wit this book lays out intimate moments that make it feel generally easier to be a brokenhearted and messy human. Was the best company. I am so happy this man is in the world.” Awwwww, Tay, we’re tearing up over here!
8. Kelly Ripa: Kelly supports friend and fellow talk show host Anderson Cooper by repping his co-authored book with mother Gloria Vanderbilt, The Rainbow Comes and Goes: A Mother and Son on Life, Love and Loss ($17). “Can’t put down this fascinating book,” she gushes.
9. Lily Collins: Actress Lily Collins reflects on Jessica Knoll’s The Luckiest Girl Alive ($10), writing, “when our eyes are truly open, we see just how fortunate we are and realize how many amazing opportunities come our way. Take full advantage of the days you have, grasp every moment and look forward to all the ones to come.”
10. Jamie Chung: Halle’s not the only one reading in bed! Jamie Chung tucks herself in with Jonas Jonasson’s The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared ($10) as her “bedtime story.”
Which book are you most excited to read on this list? Let us know over @BritandCo!
(Featured Image via Mark Davis/Getty)