During the dog days of summer, the absolute last thing you want to do is pile on the layers. When you’re not stuck in an overly air-conditioned cubicle at work, nothing says warm-weather fun like a slew of summer slip dresses, lazy girl-approved slides and off-the-shoulder silhouettes. And if the latest throwback trend from the ‘90s and early ‘00s is any indication, it won’t be long before you’re adding a back-baring halter style to the mix. Easy as throw-on-and-go, these effortless tie-neck styles call to mind beach bonfires and spontaneous trips to the fair. Kick off summer with these 22 rad halter styles that deserve a top spot on your checklist of must-have necklines for summer. Proceed to dress ‘em up or down for every summer function coming your way.
1. American Apparel California Select Originals Halter Top ($36): This cropped halter top is so ‘90s, and we’re loving it. The preppy vintage madras print will look ah-mazing with a white button-front skirt and jelly sandals for a picnic in the park or a slick leather mini skirt and sleeveless denim jacket come after-hours.
2. ASOS Fashion Union Halter Neck Frill Dress in Floral Print ($45): Bring on the frills with this flouncy floral halter dress that’s ready to tango the night away. There’s no doubt you’ll light up the dance floor with your killer moves and towering stilettos in tow.
3. Tobi Robyn Linen Halter Midi Dress ($98): Found it. Between a yachting party in the Hamptons and Sunday brunch on the veranda, you’ll need a LWD this sophisticated in your summer capsule wardrobe. Teamed with a midi length, halter neckline and a polished tie-front bow (!), it doesn’t get more DDG than this. Sign us up, please.
4. Free People One Celine Cross Halter Top ($98): No beach day required to channel a vacay state of mind. On mornings when you can’t even, just slip this lounge-worthy halter top on with some linen drawstring pants and free-wheelin’ slides for an at-home spa day. TBH, it’ll be the easiest outfit you wear all summer.
5. Nasty Gal Halter Goes There Striped Bodysuit ($38): Test-drive three of the season’s most noteworthy trends at once with this striped lace-up halter bodysuit that’s a little bit sultry and a lot risqué. Whether you wear it with boyfriend jeans, an A-line mini or running shorts, there’s no going wrong.
6. ASOS Crochet Halter Bralet With Tassels ($42): Gear up for a glamping trip with the girls (or an outdoor summer concert) with this free-spirited crochet bralet that’s all sorts of fierce. Besides the next-level fringe action on the front, this back-baring style is begging to be teamed with some denim cutoffs and flash tats.
7. Forever 21 Pineapple Print Halter Dress ($13): Cue the date-night vibes with this must-have pineapple print halter dress that’s equal parts fun and whimsical. Stack on the arm candy and show off your gorgeous gams by teaming it with some throwback platforms.
8. Topshop Gingham Neck Tie Playsuit ($95): Master the art of one-and-done dressing with this ultra flattering gingham playsuit that requires zero effort. You can elevate the casual halter style with a blazer or toss on your favorite strappy sandals and straw tote for dinner al fresco.
9. Banana Republic Mint Halter-Ruffle Dress ($138): Here comes the blushing bridesmaid! Whether you’re serving as your BFF’s maid of honor or attending as a plus one, you need a cocktail dress with this much panache. Everything from the minty fresh hue to the playful ruffles and conservative halter neckline has got us swooning hard — especially when you throw some nude ankle-strap heels and chandelier earrings into the equation.
10. & Other Stories Off-Shoulder Ruffled Blouse ($85): Obsessed would be an understatement. This romantic ruffled halter neck blouse is almost HR-approved, depending on how conservative your office is. Opt for a corporate look by tossing it on alongside black culottes and a bold red lip, and be sure to keep a pair of dancin’ shoes tucked under your desk for safekeeping, just in case a post-work function pops up.
11. Lulu’s Photosynthesis Statement Green Print Halter Dress ($48): Fact: You can’t pack for a stint in paradise without including at least one easy-breezy day dress. Between an afternoon spent by the pool and a romantic dinner under the stars, this tropical palm leaf halter dress is just the thing to have on standby. Sun-kissed skin and natural beach waves are obligatory.
12. Forever 21 Nobody Cares Club Halter Top ($7): Let this statement-making halter top do all the talking the next time you’re stuck on a Tinder date gone wrong. If you ask us, some teenage angst is exactly what the doctor ordered — that and a ’90s-esque tattoo choker (c’mon, we all had one).
13. Madewell Maderas Cover-Up Jumpsuit in Ashram Ikat ($98): Quick dip in the pool? Allow this ikat-print jumpsuit-turned-bikini-cover-up to save you from having to run home for a quick change of clothes. Not only is this laid-back chic halter jumpsuit perfect for poolside lounging, but it’s destined for a night of barhopping.
14. H&M Halterneck Maxi Dress ($70): Update your festival-going style with this gorgeous Moroccan-inspired halter neck maxi dress that’s just as comfortable and airy as it looks. Whether you’re heading to a boho-themed bridal shower or networking function, this chiffon beauty is a winner on all fronts. Get this: You don’t even have to worry about accessories — the turquoise stone embellished neckline does the work for ya.
15. Kendall + Kylie Knot Front Halter ($98): This is not your everyday gingham. When your usual rotation of going-out tops grows stale, this cropped halter with a classy knot is here to the rescue. Not only will it add major oomph to a pair of high-waisted black jeans, but it’s made for soaking up rays in San Fran.
16. Ale by Alessandra Hi Low Halter Dress ($150): Get the most bang for your buck with this hi-low halter dress that can double for a summer wedding, wine tasting at the vineyard or an excursion into the city. The blue and orange tie-dye print is versatile enough to be dressed up with espadrilles or pared down with metallic Birks.
17. Lulu’s Keep Playing That Song Red Halter Jumpsuit ($54): Call up the girls! This red-hot jumpsuit is ready to come out and play. With a plunging halter neckline, wide-leg pants and a barely there back, this triple threat is a shoo-in for a night on the town or a bachelorette party. Proceed to style it with a body chain and lace-up ghillies to up the va-va-voom factor.
18. Topshop Halter Crochet Bralet ($30): Pull a Gigi Hadid by sporting this multi-striped crochet bralet with black denim cutoffs or a high-slit maxi skirt for a day at the beach. For festival season, a fringed vest and suede ankle boots will have you embracing your inner hippie in no time.
19. Tobi Hotline Floral Romper Set ($78): This girl doesn’t have the time (or patience) to deal with coordinating #OOTDs on the fly. Instead, keep the styling fiascos to a minimum with this two-piece floral romper set — consisting of a ruffled halter top and party shorts — that calls for a hands-free crossbody bag and pom-pom embellished sandals.
20. Glamorous Lace Halter Maxi Dress ($230): Non-traditional brides, we’re looking at you! Whether you’re getting hitched this summer in a gorgeous vineyard in the south of France or have a slew of summer soirees already penciled in your iCal, a swoon-inducing white gown is non-negotiable. As if the elegant halter neckline wasn’t enough, the all-over lace and subtle mermaid hem will make for the ultimate red carpet-worthy entrance.
21. Free People Tropical Escape Maxi ($168): Oh, this old thang? Get ready to channel your inner Grecian goddess with this hibiscus print maxi that’s made for a tropical getaway or, better yet, an episode of Bachelor in Paradise. Keep the balmy temps away by pairing the steamy halter silhouette with a fishtail braid.
22. Forever 21 Contemporary Crepe Halter Dress ($23): Plunging neckline? Check. Captivating hue? Check. Come-hither silhouette? Triple check. Gear up for a summer of shenanigans with this flirty crepe dress that won’t go unnoticed on the dance floor.
Will you rock a halter neckline this summer? Follow us on Pinterest for more summer style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.