11 Healthy Ways to Eat Your Favorite Comfort Food This Winter
Cold temperatures and short days make everyone want comfort food this time of year. Carb-y, fat-filled foods are always satisfying — simple as that — and that’s what puts them at the top of the “Eat This Right Now” list. Of course, that’s if you didn’t make a healthy food resolutions this year, then no comfort food for you, right? Wrong! Don’t deprive yourself of your favorite dishes this winter. These 11 recipes are your gateway to healthier versions of the comfort foods you crave. Scroll down to see the full better-for-you list and pick a dish for dinner tonight.
1. Turmeric Chicken Chili With Coconut Oil Biscuits: Your dinner will feel like a comforting sweater when you eat this soup because it’s so warm and cozy. Traditional biscuits are made with lard, but these are made with coconut oil, which is full of lots of healthy fats and will help keep you full. (via Yeah… Imma Eat That)
2. Mushroom & White Truffle Mac and Cheese: Truffle oil is an easy way to make any dish taste way more fancy. Mushrooms don’t just add a serving of veggies to the dish — they make it even more delectable. (via The Almond Eater)
3. Lighter Pot Pie: Phyllo dough comes to the rescue in this lightened-up pot pie. You won’t even miss the chicken with hearty butternut squash, protein-packed peas and green beans. (via Swanky Recipes)
4. Gluten-Free Spaghetti and Meatballs: Spaghetti squash doesn’t just lighten up this tradition Italian dish, but also makes getting in your veggies for the day a cinch. This recipe calls for a homemade sauce, which is the perfect way to spend a cold Sunday night. (via The Adventures of MJ and Hungryman)
5. Lightened Up Cheesy Broccoli Potatoes: Baked potatoes can be the foundation of any healthy meal. Skip the butter and sour cream and top yours with broccoli and a healthy creamy cheese sauce for a better-for-you version that is hearty enough for lunch or dinner. (via Sugar Dish Me)
6. Broccoli Chicken Mac and Cheese: As delicious as mac and cheese is sometimes, it leaves you in a food coma or worse — hungry — an hour later. Chicken and broccoli don’t just bulk up this favorite, but they add some much needed staying power and nutrition too. (via Damn Delicious)
7. Beef Stroganoff: One of the joys of comfort food is how quickly it typically comes together. You’ll only need 30 minutes to have a healthy and delicious hot dish of beef stroganoff on the table. Don’t forget to make the egg noodles, because aren’t they the best part of beef stroganoff? (via Gimme Some Oven)
9. Skinny Buffalo Chicken Bites: Look no further for a healthier option for your football watch party this playoff season. Buffalo chicken dip isn’t known for being the healthiest dish at a snack table, but you won’t even miss some of the unhealthiest ingredients, like ranch dressing or (gasp!) tortilla chips in this recipe. (via Simple Green Moms)
10. Lighter Tuna Casserole: It only takes a few simple tweaks to lighten up tuna casserole. When you get down to the basics, it can be totally healthy — tuna is filled with protein, veggies round out the dish and no-yolk egg noodles are a lighter option to other pastas. (via Gimme Some Oven)
11. Potato Soup: Swap out the cream for Greek yogurt for a filling and warming soup. No good potato soup recipe is complete without bacon, making this one that you’ll want to make again and again. (via Gimme Some Oven)
Want even more healthy comfort food recipes? Be sure to check out Brit + Co on Pinterest!