What to Make This Weekend: Heart-Shaped Lightbox, Hand-Painted Weekender Bag + More
Since all your DIY efforts over the past few weeks have either been about the perfect boho style piece for Coachella or a never-ending spring cleaning to-do list, this weekend is all about treatin’ yo’ self to some relaxation time. After you’ve soaked up some sun and thoroughly enjoyed a homemade brunch, why not use a little bit of that free time to get making? Below you’ll find a few fun DIYs you can do to create the most Instagrammable dinner table ever and a few super cool ideas for DIY Mother’s Day gifts. Scroll on down for 12 projects to tackle before Monday rolls back around.
1. DIY Painted Weekender: Just the name “weekender” will make you want to throw together a spontaneous trip, and now you’ve got the bag to back you up. Create your own custom fabric and then pull out your sewing 101 skills to whip this baby together in no time. (via Brit + Co)
2. Free Printable Girl Boss Notebook Covers: Print these fab covers off right now and make over any old notebook you have sitting around. The key to a productive to-do list is a pretty notebook, right?? (via Studio DIY)
3. DIY Paper Gift Box Garland: Treat mom to a real surprise with a strand of this gift box garland. Fill each box with little makeup treats, chocolate and other handmade goodies for major brownie points this year. (via Proper)
4. DIY Himmeli Floral Mobile: You’ll want to make these geometric mobiles for every room in the house — how could you not? They’re like bling for your walls. Once you’ve nailed the basic pyramid shape, go crazy with all kinds of himmeli shapes for an awesome new take on the traditional flower vase. (via Brit + Co)
5. DIY Mother’s Day Flower Bouquet Free Printables: Everyone is going to give mom flowers, so why not take your bouquet to the next level with a pretty printable bouquet sleeve. It doesn’t matter if you’re going with fancy florist blooms or just putting together a bouquet with flowers from your own yard, mom will totally appreciate the extra touch here. (via A Bubbly Life)
6. DIY Heart-Shaped Cinema Lightbox: Light boxes have been popping up everywhere, and for good reason. They’re such a cute way to add personality to your space. Think outside the traditional box and go for something a little more quirky, like this giant, colorful heart! Your desk just got way more fun. (via Aww, Sam)
7. DIY Bath Bombs: If you never met a pun you didn’t like, you definitely need to make mom a batch of these bath bombs… because she’s da bomb. Obvi. Personalize a batch with only her favorite scents and colors, and put together the ultimate at-home spa package for you and your mom this weekend. (via Brit + Co)
8. Printable Mother’s Day Accordion Card: Skip the stress of finding the perfect card at the store this year and DIY your own for a totally unique option. Your mom will love the handmade touch, and you’ll love how easy it is to make one of these accordion cards for all the moms in your life. (via Lovely Indeed)
10. DIY Brushstroke Glasses: Lots of DIY glasses involve paint, which can look pretty, but doesn’t always last very long after a few dinner parties. Try using vinyl instead of paint to make this fab set of glasses for your next outdoor dinner party. It’s still not dishwasher-proof, but they should last you through the summer. (via A Kailo Chic Life)
11. DIY Mini Succulent Planters: Raise your hand if you have a slight addiction to house plants. If you can’t walk past a succulent display without picking up one (or five), give them a gorg home in these textured planters. Use white air clay for a Scandi vibe or switch things up with bright colors and a color-dipped effect. (via Burkatron)
12. DIY Faux Granite and Marble Coasters: Invite mom over for a cup of tea or a good glass of wine, and then show her how well you’re adulting with these adorable “marble” coasters. She’ll be so impressed, she’ll probably ask you to make her a set of her own. (via Brit + Co)
We want to snoop on what you’re making this weekend! Show us your project by tagging us on Instagram + using the hashtag #iamcreative!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)