Here’s How Celebs Are Reacting to the Fort Lauderdale Shootings
It’s only January 6, but already, we’re dealing with heartbreak. Five people lost their lives today at the hands of a shooter at Fort Lauderdale’s airport, with eight more injured. It was nearly 1pm when Esteban Santiago, a former member of Alaska’s Army National Guard, opened fire upon a crowded room full of people in the airport’s baggage claim area.
While details are just starting to emerge about the gunman, who is said to have been known to the FBI as having mental health issues, we’re still trying to process the shock of the tragic occurrence and the lives that were senselessly lost. Celebs are also dealing with the tragedy, taking to social media to express their thoughts and condolences. See what they had to say below.
If you were at the Fort Lauderdale airport or have family affected by this horrific shooting, you’re in our thoughts. Sending love.
— Ellen DeGeneres (@TheEllenShow) January 6, 2017
1. Ellen DeGeneres: Ellen reached out to all of those affected by today’s incident, sending love to all.
It breaks my heart that there is so much bad news in the world today. All my thoughts are with those affected by the shooting in Florida.
— Jesse Tyler Ferguson (@jessetyler) January 6, 2017
2. Jesse Tyler Ferguson: Modern Family’s Jesse Tyler Ferguson said what we were all thinking.
My heart is breaking for everyone at the Fort Lauderdale airport what is this world coming to!
— Brandi Glanville (@BrandiGlanville) January 6, 2017
3. Brandi Glanville: Former Real Housewife Brandi Glanville echoed those thoughts, saying “What is this world coming to?”
FLL Airport ❤️🙏🏽 so upsetting
— Nicole Polizzi (@snooki) January 6, 2017
4. Nicole “Snooki” LaValle: Nicole was left stunned and speechless, saying only “So upsetting.”
So horrible what's happening in #ftlauderdale Saying prayers of safety for everyone
— LeAnn Rimes Cibrian (@leannrimes) January 6, 2017
5. LeAnn Rimes Cibrian: LeAnn wished everyone well, sending her prayers to all.
My thoughts are with everyone affected. 🙏 https://t.co/2SOzNkRgFu
— Alyssa Milano (@Alyssa_Milano) January 6, 2017
6. Alyssa Milano: Alyssa took time out to acknowledge those dealing with the aftermath of the shocking event.
The FL Governor called Trump and Pence and NOT @POTUS about the shooting at the Airport. That's right. Did NOT call the current President.
— Debra Messing (@DebraMessing) January 6, 2017
7. Debra Messing: Debra Messing took issue with the way the situation was handled.
Monitoring the terrible situation in Florida. Just spoke to Governor Scott. Thoughts and prayers for all. Stay safe!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 6, 2017
8. Donald Trump: The President-Elect in question promised he was monitoring the situation, and urged us all to stay safe.
Sick over the Fort Lauderdale airport shooting. What the hell is happening w this world? I fly in & out of there to see my fam all the time💔
— Cassadee Pope (@CassadeePope) January 6, 2017
9. Cassadee Pope: Things hit a little too close to home for country music star Cassadee Pope, who is a frequent traveler of the Fort Lauderdale airport.
How are you coping with today’s tragedy? Share your feelings with us over @BritandCo.
(Photo via Luca Teuchmann + Carlos Miller/Getty)