You certainly don’t need us to remind you that summer’s heating up. As you ditch the layers and embrace the next heat wave with open arms (well, sort of), there’s one hero piece that will come to the rescue time and time again. If you guessed a made-for-frolicking-sundress or around-the-clock summer maxi that provides instant cooling effects, then you’re right on the money. When hiding out in the AC isn’t an option, reach for one of these 15 nonchalant summatime frocks that you’ll want to live in 24/7.
1. Staud Cayos Dress ($155): This retro-swimmers-print slip dress makes us want to make a beeline to the closest pool (or the Hollywood Hills). Just add sassy pink shades and jelly sandals for a splash-worthy lewk.
2. Whit Catalina Dress ($382): Fact: This is the rainbow striped frock that’s about to blow up your Instagram feed. Besides the roomy drop-waist silhouette and carefree vibe, you’ll never get tired of ‘gramming this beauty in front of colorful walls.
3. J.Crew Off-the-Shoulder Ruffle-Hem Dress in Postcard Print ($148): Get in on that off-the-shoulder action while it’s still considered hot-to-trot territory. We call dibs on this cha-cha-ready ruffle hem dress that’s as vacation-y as it gets. Banana hoop earrings, where you at?
4. Free People Someone New Dress ($98): Sun’s out, sexy shoulders on full display. Come date night, play it cool with this Bardot-inspired coral-pink mini dress that calls for pared-down sneakers and a natural sun-kissed glow.
5. Tictail Silk Tunika Needlework Sundress ($273): ‘Cause another LWD is exactly what you need to combat the next heat wave. This breathable silk-blend mini dress will not only look super polished on the subway, but hellooo, those playful shoulder ties are everything.
6. Esprit by Opening Ceremony Ditsy Floral Textured Dress ($195): We can’t decide what we love more: the whimsical polka dot floral print, the A.Chung-inspired Peter Pan collar, or the slip-on-and-go silhouette. From a picnic in Central Park to a stint in Paris, this femme frock has all your bases covered.
7. Madewell Bellflower Ruffle Dress ($118): Fuss-free ruffles, right this way. Introducing the quintessential cotton day dress that will accompany you to the vineyard, a tennis match, or an evening stroll in Brooklyn.
8. YSTR Lucia Dress ($198): Eternal vacation mode starts now. Adopt an out-of-office mentality with this bohemian cami dress that’s practically made for soaking up rays on the beach (or on a yacht in Montauk). A spritz of sea salt spray and you’ll be all set.
9. & Other Stories Embroidery Cotton Dress ($85): Take it from the French: There’s something to be said about a sweet embroidered day dress that looks perfectly polished minus the hassle. Stylish add-ons in the form of a woven straw tote (give or take a baguette and fresh blooms) and huaraches will have you channeling an afternoon at the Musée d’Orsay.
10. Wilfred Beaune Dress ($185): Be it a backyard wedding or post-work dranks, this romantic pleated number packs a ton of conversation-starting appeal.
11. P/A by Paul & Alice Smocking Check Dress ($101): Oh, this old thang? No need to resort to a sports bra and running shorts when you’ve got the perfect smocked dress at your disposal. This one even doubles as a makeshift bikini cover-up for all you self-proclaimed beach bums.
12. Forever 21 Self-Tie Floral Shift Dress ($20): We see you, going-out shift that looks straight-up fire even in sweltering temps. Anything to keep you remotely cool and non-sticky on the dance floor, amirite?
13. Mara Hoffman Mini Slip Dress ($295): There goes Mara Hoffman casting her magic once again. Be forewarned, this contemporary slip dress may be sneaking its way into your suitcase to Maui alongside a straw Panama hat and cool-girl mules.
14. Reformation Barbados Dress ($98): Barbados, we’re comin’ for you. If this light-as-a-feather linen dress isn’t the definition of slip-on-and-go, then we don’t know what is. We’ll take one in every colorway, please.
15. Dôen Pansi Dress ($165): Dare we say it: Dôen’s our new fave DFAF destination. This time they’re inspiring us to escape to our very own secret garden. Between the dusty pink hue and ethereal pansy print — not to mention that smocked empire bodice — this beauty will have you running barefoot in the fields in no time.
How do you dress to beat the summer heat? Follow us on Pinterest for more summer styling tips!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.