5 Hot Spots for Singles to Visit This Cuffing Season
Sick of all of those social media galleries of winter-wonderland weddings and cozy couples’ excursions? So is just about every other single person, trust us. But don’t worry. Being single during cuffing season doesn’t necessarily have to mean you’re doomed to staycations (though we do love a good weekend lounging at home). There’s no better time to explore and mingle than during the few months of the year that coupled-up folks stay holed up inside. So if you’re looking to exchange your fuzzy socks for flip-flops or your coffee for a fruity cocktail, book your plane ticket ASAP to one of these five unexpected and single-friendly destinations.
1. Curaçao: The Dutch Caribbean island of Curaçao is an adventure for all types. Soaked with sunshine all year long, the island is a welcome escape from the snowy North American winter. Whether you’re appreciating the solitude of a cove-like beach, testing your limits on an ATV, or making friends with the local fish on a diving tour, there’s a little something for everyone, thrill-seeker or not. And when the sun goes down, enjoy the burgeoning bar and club scene in the trendy district of Pietermaai. Plus, because Curaçao is deemed one of the most LGBTQ-friendly islands in the Caribbean, it’s a singles’ playground for everyone, regardless of sexual orientation.
2. Dublin, Ohio: If snow is a must-have for you during the winter season, then Dublin, Ohio, is the ultimate option. This town, located northwest of Columbus, is brimming with Midwestern charm while remaining easy on the budget. It’s an unexpected getaway for young working professionals, particularly those who are looking to eat, drink, and not be married. Say cheers to the area’s Irish bars on the Celtic Cocktail Trail and snap the sweeping views of the Scioto River visible from VASO, a Spanish-inspired rooftop bar and restaurant that serves tapas, perfect for sharing with new besties and potential boos!
3. Negril, Jamaica: If you’re looking to get steamy this cuffing season, Negril, home of Hedonism II, is the spot for you. This adults-only beachfront all-inclusive resort is a welcome place for both singles and couples. Feeling wild? Try the “nude side” of the resort, which, aside from the obvious, includes a steamy jacuzzi, pool, grill, and multiple bars. Are you more on the mild side? That’s okay! There’s a clothed portion of the resort that features all the same paradise-like amenities. Negril’s beaches are some of the best, and the “adult playground” that is Hedonism is one of the only of its kind in the world. Explore yourself and a new part of the world like never before!
4. San Luis Obispo, California: Expect a packed planner when you head to this vibrant college town nestled along California’s central coast. Affectionately nicknamed SLO, San Luis Obispo is as relaxing as it seems. And happy! (No less an expert than Oprah once dubbed it the happiest city in the US on her show.) Popular activities include visiting the beaches, indulging in local brews and barbecue, hiking, wine tasting, and whale watching. Branch out at one of the town’s latest boutique hotels, The Kinney SLO, which is designed to be a social experience. In addition to the charming rooms complete with plaid carpet and collaged walls, the hotel has an on-site restaurant and bar and an outdoor entertainment area called The Quad, which features fire pits, vintage games, and more.
5. Phoenix, Arizona: With its desert climate, Phoenix is the best of both worlds during wintertime. Bask in the warmth of daylight and bundle up after dark. Not only is Phoenix one of the largest US cities, but its residents also have an average age of 34. Score one for singles! Touristy attractions include the open-air marketplaces, Camelback Mountain, the art stroll, and the Desert Botanical Garden. The AC Lounge at the new AC Hotel Phoenix Biltmore, with its mountain views and desert sunsets, is a fabulous backdrop for meeting new people and forming — who knows! — new relationships.
Which spots are you scoping out for cuffing season? Let us know @BritandCo.
(Photos via Getty)