You Can Now Decorate Your Home like Your Fave Hotel
Have you ever walked into a designer hotel lobby or suite and said, “Um, how can I get my house to look like this?” From the fluffy beds to the chic details, there’s style inspiration each time you check in at a new hip spot. You’re not the only one who wants to make their own space feel as welcoming as a hotel, and the founder of Hotelement, Paula Oblen, has made it her mission to make sleek hotel style available to everyone. She’s revealing the design pros’ secrets, and we’re ready to snatch up every piece or furniture and advice. Read on to see a few of our faves.
1. The Viceroy Hotel, Anguilla: This Caribbean hotel takes full advantage of its seaside location by incorporating the colors of a sandy beach and textures of driftwood. Hotelements tells you exactly how to get your hands on a lamp like the one in the suite and how to imitate the color palette by adding touches of charcoal gray.
2. The Iron Horse Hotel, Milwaukee: Housed in a 100-year-old warehouse, The Iron Horse Hotel has a lobby full of industrial details that recall its rich history. Experiment with different finishes in your home, from distressed leather and knotty wood to polished concrete and steel.
3. Avalon Hotel, Miami: Miami is known for its art deco architecture, and The Avalon brings that mid-century style into its suites with a cool color palette that’ll make it hard to forget you’re at the beach. (Not that you’d want to.) Channel that Mad Men vibe at home with low-slung, curvy furniture.
4. B2 Hotel, Zurich: Located inside a former brewery, the historic B2 Hotel combines clean lines with modern touches like glass and concrete. Bring the look home with hammered iron pendant lamps and plush leather.
5. Athol Place Boutique Hotel, Johannesburg: Offering contemporary style in South Africa, Athol Place has nine suites full of details you’d want to take home with you. Mix materials like wood, leather, metal and mirrors to replicate the sophisticated look.
6. The Betsy Hotel, Miami: When you walk into The Betsy, you instantly feel like you’re stepping into a historic Miami landmark, with palm trees and colonial chic design setting the stage for an ideal vacay. Go for the same look with shutters and rich dark woods.
7. Chapman House, Nantucket: The lobby of this hotel, located in the charming island town of Nantucket, is unexpectedly retro. We love its bold use of color. To imitate this groovy style in your own home, Hotelements suggests keeping the overall tone of the room neutral, so your accents really pop.
8. Mondrian Hotel, Los Angeles: This glamorous hotel in West Hollywood uses bright white as the backdrop for its stunning accent pieces and surprising splashes of color. Want to imitate this elegant look in your home? Hang white curtains, accent with black pieces and don’t be afraid to mix patterns.
9. The Parker Hotel, Palm Springs: There’s nothing boring about a trip to Palm Springs, so your hotel shouldn’t be boring either. The Jonathan Adler-designed lobby is eclectic and retro, with artful pieces that are perfect conversation starters.
10. Thompson Hotel, Beverly Hills: You would expect nothing less than modern luxury in the heart of Beverly Hills, and the Thompson’s bedroom suites don’t disappoint. Imitate the minimal style with plenty of storage to hide all your clutter.
Have a favorite hotel whose style you want to steal? Let us know in the comments!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.