7 #OOTDs for the Week: How to Wear Sneakers in the Winter
This Monday’s weekly outfit inspiration is all about switching out your go-to pair of winter shoes. We don’t mean quit it with the snow boots — when there’s slush on the ground, those steppers are essential. But for the days before those flurries fall, give your ankle boots a break. The ladies in these seven #ootds show that there’s an even comfier footwear alternative to slip on this season. Learn how to sneak it into your cold-weather looks this week using these Instagram snaps as inspiration.
1. @mystyle.mylook: An all-black outfit is almost too easy to toss on this season: on first goes your softest black tee, next a pair of dark waxed denim, then that go-to leather jacket and just like that you’re practically covered from head to toe. Break from the tired monochrome like blogger and vintage seller Mimi with sneakers that add just a splash of color (or colors — these puppies are holographic wedges) and a little sporty flair.
2. @fakeleather: 2014 was the year of being matchy-matchy, and we love the twist that style blogger Adriana put on the trend. Pairing burgundy sneakers with burgundy skinnies streamlines her casual separates in the same way that tossing a biker jacket over jeans adds instant polish. The two style hacks together — even with that angsty flannel tied around her waist — make the outfit downright chic.
3. @_miyulife_: Maybe we’re already nostalgic for normcore, but we really appreciate a girl who can own wearing the most basic of basics. The slouchy socks detail drives this unapologetically sporty look home for us, and that Chanel bag is the icing on the cake.
4. @lucitisima: So you’ve found a dress that’s practically a Snuggie, and there’s nothing stoping you from wearing it outside (we’re right there with you, girl). Stick to your cozy girl guns and pair it with shoes that let your feet get in on the snuggle game. Just in case that’s not comfy enough, take a cue from Lucita and toss on a long scarf.
5. @weworewhat: We all tend to dress a little darker during the winter, and our footwear usually follows that trend with tans and grays giving relief to the rich browns and blacks most boots come in. Add an unexpected contrast to your winter neutrals with a pair of stark white sneakers, which by the looks of her Instagram feed are a secret weapon for style blogger Danielle.
6. @figtny: If you’d wear it from 9 to 5, you could wear it with sneakers. Seriously, take advantage of this moment in style when it’s *actually* fashionable to wear tennis shoes on your commute… and all day long at work. As you can see from this neutrals-obsessed style blogger, the cushy steppers are easiest to sneak into the office along with a clean palette. Think: light grays, beiges, silvers and whites.
7. @thehautepursuit: Once the layers upon layers have started doing their job, you might wish you’d given your bod some sort of way to feel the fresh breeze. If you can manage going glove free, try going sock free as well — Vanessa balances the bare skin just right with flatform low tops, cuffed boyfriend jeans and a sweeping duster. In climates where socks are a must, this look *would* work with bright white knee-high socks pulled up for extra warmth or scrunched down around the ankles.
What Insta style stars do you follow? Do you do an #ootd on the regular? Tell us in the comments below, and be sure to tag your pics with @britandco for a chance to be featured in next week’s post.