11 Jacket and Scarf Pairings to Snuggle Up in All Season Long
Crisp autumn air and cool temps have officially settled in, and depending on where you live, rockin’ a snuggly oversized sweater solo simply isn’t going to cut it from here on out. Luckily, taking cover this season doesn’t have to mean layering on lumpy-bumpy outerwear with no semblance of style. Between boldly embroidered coats and bright faux fur toppers, fall’s jacket and coat offerings are the real deal. But when the thermometer takes a nose dive, you’ll need a little extra somethin’ somethin’ to keep your cool-weather style game on lock. The solution? A chic blanket scarf or color-block stole that’s just as cozy as it is It-girl approved. Of course, choosing which scarf to go with your topper of choice calls for a bit of careful contemplation — which we’ve taken upon ourselves to do for you. Scroll down for 11 perfect pairings that will keep you toasty and ahead of the sartorial curve all season long.
1. H&M Wool Blend Coat ($149) + Zara Faux Fur Stole ($50): Hell to the yeah. A down-to-business topper gets a majorly glam makeover with the addition of a luxe faux fur stole in eye-catching shades of orange and blue. Team with menswear-inspired steppers and a bold red pout for the perfect balance of boy-meets-girl appeal.
2. Mango Cotton-Wool Blend Coat ($130) + H&M Patterned Scarf ($13): Gray days and frigid temps can’t get you down when you have this sunny yellow stunner on standby. The bold and bright hue will add much-needed spring to your step, while a prettily patterned scarf adds a bit of panache (and warmth) to your look. Throw on this combo midweek when the wardrobe blahs start to cramp your style.
3. Mango Animal Design Jacket ($80) + & Other Stories Two Tone Wool Blanket Scarf ($65): Your tried-and-true trench has served you well, but every girl needs at least one Insta-worthy piece in her wardrobe that can deliver a serious dose of oomph to even the most blasé basics. Toss on this leopard print number with embroidered jeans, pointed-toe boots and a dramatic two-tone scarf for an off-duty ensemble that will take you from running errands to sipping bubbly at a local wine bar with your girls.
4. & Other Stories Kimono Coat ($245) + Madewell Print & Pattern Scarf ($60): Sophisticated is this pairing’s middle name. Between Sunday brunch, after-work drinks and networking events, this classy combo will keep you feeling cozy and looking chic from dawn ’til dusk. Style it alongside jacquard trousers and an elegant crossbody bag for maximum perfection.
5. COS Raw-Edge Wool Coat ($250) + H&M Jacquard Weave Scarf ($25): Fall is a mixed bag when it comes to weather, so a lighter-weight wool topper is essential for warmer temps. This playful pink bomber is practically begging to tag along on all of your autumn adventures, like sipping cider at the orchard and trips to the pumpkin patch.
6. Zara Oversized Jacket With Pockets ($70) + Mango Prince of Wales Scarf ($40): Pastels take on an anything-but-prissy tone with a cool oversized silhouette and utility-inspired detailing. Layer it over a statement sweater, cropped jeans and combat boots for a stroll through the park or a Saturday morning farmers’ market. Toss on a Prince of Wales scarf for an extra layer of warmth and a touch of sophistication.
7. River Island Grey Floral Embroidered Overcoat ($190) + Karl Donoghue Shearling Scarf ($154): All-embroidered-everything is your motto this season, and rightly so. With stitched floral accents being totally en vogue, this streamlined coat is par for the course. Coming off a fashion month high, bold accessories with a street-style edge feel right on cue. Get wrapped up in this fuzzy red number and set your own trends this season.
8. Zara Embroidered Faux Fur Jacket ($149) + Mango Printed Scarf ($26): So much YAS. Fall is about to take on the folksy feels thanks to this embroidered faux fur number that’s equal parts fabulous and free-spirited. Achieve style MVP status like that when you style it alongside go-with-the-flow wide-leg trousers, suede kicks and an animal print scarf that lets you show off your wild side. Prep for a gallery opening or swanky event with modern drop earrings and a half-up bun that reads It girl in the making.
9. Mango Check Wool-Blend Coat ($80) + BP. Geo Print Jacquard Scarf ($29): As it turns out, hunter check is surprisingly chic — which is why you’ll want to add this oversized stunner to your arsenal stat. Perfect for Friday night football games and trips to the county fair, this black and red coat makes the ideal partner to distressed denim, a blanket scarf and statement sneakers. Looking to unleash a little glamour? Swap out sneaks for lace-up flats and a retro cat-eye for a rugged yet refined look.
10. Madewell Sherpa Peacoat ($198) + Treasure&Bond Blurred Tartan Blanket Wrap ($39): Cue the cozy vibes. An oversized teddy coat is just the thing to keep the cold weather blahs at bay — and rack up a few style points while you’re at it. In true It-girl fashion, team yours with a Victorian blouse, cropped flares and jacquard booties for a low-key date-night look that slays. Just add a velvet pouch and a metallic smokey eye to keep your on-the-town ensemble after-dark ready.
11. River Island Pink Check Tied Duster Coat ($230) + Nordstrom Tissue Weight Wool & Cashmere Scarf ($99): The arrival of the new season is a really great excuse to step up your outerwear game. And where better to start than a sophisticated wrap coat with head-turning potential? The classic styling and bold check print are just the thing to spice up your morning commute. Make your look pop from a.m. to p.m. with the addition of a dusty rose scarf and a bold pout.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.