When you’re looking for ways to keep the guests entertained over the holidays, who better to use for inspiration than Jimmy Fallon? After all, he did just win Entertainer of the Year from EW. Years of honing uncanny impressions, laughing at his own jokes and improvising sketches have led Jimmy Fallon to create our favorite part of The Tonight Show — celebrity games. We just HAVE to try these Fallon favorites with our families and friends at this year’s holiday parties.
1. The Sibling-wed Game: Newlyweds, step aside. Sibling knowledge is way more extensive, often embarrassing and almost always hilarious, as we saw between Chris Evans and his brother Scott Evans. “Meanest prank ever played” is a very, very good place to start for a night of giggles.
2. Catchphrase: When you’ve got a family that spans several generations, Catchphrase is the great unifier. A little bit Password, a little bit Hot Potato, you and your partner have to get each other to guess sayings, which becomes crazy hard when the timer is running. Just ask Jennifer Garner, John Mulaney and Questlove.
3. Five-Second Summaries: Got a super competitive family? Describe the plot of a movie in under five seconds… or turn it into an extreme lightning round by doing it in one second, á la the A-MAH-ZING “Honey, I Shrunk the Kids” clue sung by Andy Samberg.
4. Faceketball: For a little DIY action in your holiday party prep, throw together these rudimentary face hoops and act like little kids again with your cousins. The construction is pretty easy, but it seems the game is trickier than it looks.
5. Box of Lies: This has become a Tonight Show staple, since everyone from Emma Stone to Channing Tatum has played it, including our fave silly celeb, J.Law. We think it will translate really well if you’re spending the holidays at a relative’s house full of tchotchkes.
6. Musical Beers: It’s not the holiday season without a boozy party or two (y’know, to make the most of those tacky Christmas sweaters). When you’re all getting a bit bored of beer pong, graduate to the musical chairs version for a messy good time.
7. Battle Shots: Oh, college holiday parties are gonna have A LOT of fun with this one. It’s not exactly the type of game you play with the ‘rents (or maybe you do, which is pretty awesome), but if you’re not going home for the holidays, then it’ll be a “HIT!” with your friends.
8. Water War: Okay, time to sober up from all those drinking games. Take this one as far away from the Christmas dinner table as possible, because with every card you draw, someone’s getting a glass of water to the face. LiLo got the last laugh against Jimmy, but Ryan Reynolds… not so much.
9. Egg Russian Roulette: Choose wisely, unlike David Beckham here, who instantly drew an unlucky egg and got a huge LOL out of Jimmy. We’re guessing this will not be a look Becks features in his new lifestyle brand.
10. Lip Sync Battle: We could never leave this modern classic off the list — not since Joseph Gordon Levitt made our hearts go boom-badoom-boom, and definitely not after Emma Stone freakin’ killed it this past year.
Truth or truth: Which Tonight Show game is going to make an appearance at your holiday party? Share your family’s favorites in the comments.