Why Kañiwa Is the Kylie Jenner of Grains
You’ve experimented with quinoa in everything from burgers to dinner bowls. Now, it’s time for another ancient-made-new favorite to step up into the superfood spotlight. Meet kañiwa (pronounced kan-yee-wah). To break it down, if Kim K. is quinoa, think of this grain as Kylie Jenner. It is hot, hot, hot right now (celeb chef Virgilio Martinez and health advocate Dr. Oz can’t stop raving about it) and for good reason. Here’s why you should make kañiwa for dinner tonight.
2. It’s easy to cook. If you’ve ever cooked quinoa, this grain is pretty much the same story: Two parts liquid to one part kañiwa. It’ll cook up in about 15 minutes or less.
3. It tastes amazing. Not only is it easy to cook and great for you, it’s actually pretty tasty too (did you ever think it was possible?). It has a sweet, nutty flavour which really comes out through if you toast it in a saucepan or a dry skillet before cooking it, according to the Veg Kitchen.
4. It’s gosh-darn beautiful. The red grains add a pop of contrast to salads, sauces and appetizers, making your guests think you spent way more time on prep than you actually did.
Ready to test out the good-for-you grain for yourself? Here are our five favorite kañiwa recipes.
2. Kañiwa with Roasted Cauliflower, Brussel Sprouts, Red Pepper and a Tahini and Sundried Tomato Dressing: Packed with veggies and good-for-you grains, it is a wonder that this showstopping entree takes only 50 minutes to make! (via The Fresh Direction)
4. Baby Kañiwa Bowl with Cranberry Jicama Salsa and Sweet Squash Puree: Although the recipe says you can substitute in quinoa for kañiwa, we love the rich red tones and iron-packed benefits of the grain. (via The Taste Space)
5. Kañiwa Oat Pancakes with Chia Blueberry Compote: If a chai tea late and a blueberry muffin had a health-conscious baby, it would be this super simple and delicious pancake recipe. Enjoy! (via Nutrilicious)
Are you cooking with kañiwa this fall? Let us know in the comments below!
(Photos by One Green Planet)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)