There’s probably no one in Hollywood whose beauty tips we’d trust more than Lupita Nyong’o. The Oscar-winner boasts a beyond impressive beauty pedigree — she’s nabbed the title of People‘s Most Beautiful Woman, is the current face of Lancôme and can braid hair like a pro — so when she speaks up about her makeup musts, skincare rituals and other healthy beauty habits, we listen. That’s why we were all ears when Lupita spilled her beauty secrets to Lucky just in time for all of us to revamp our routines for fall. Scroll through to see what keeps the Star Wars: Episode VII actress always-radiant and always the top runner to be our total beauty muse.
1. Stop Your Search for a Signature Brow Shape: Lupita’s first forray into DIY beauty was brow shaping — the plucking here and there began at age 16 “and it hurt!” To this day, Lupita still experiments with her brow shape, from the cute curve of the petite arch for the red carpet to more dramatic shapes in editorials, and her playfulness should inspire you to diversify your furrow, too. Enhance your look with basic grooming hacks or give ‘em a next-level makeover using brow stencils.
2. Go to the Dark Side With Lipstick: And were not just talking this season’s coffee browns and deep berries, Lupita has no problem with a pout blackout. “I’ve had a black lipstick in my bag since I was 17,” she told Lucky. “Black lipstick is just instant drama.” If you just won’t dare to paint it black this fall, *do* goth up your pucker with a vampy violet lip.
3. Wear Wild Nail Polish Shades, Too: We’ve said it before, you don’t ever need a reason to liven up your nail polish palette — and Lupita agrees. Channel her any-hue-goes vibe and let your wild side out with your nail color.
4. Your Blush Should Make You Glow: “Makeup should be an adornment, not a mask,” Lupita told Lucky, which is why when it comes to blush, Lupita chooses shades that gives her a healthy glow. While her go-to is Lancôme Blush Subtil in Aplum ($30), find the hue that works best with your skin tone — then learn how to blend it like a pro — in our blush 101 tutorial.
5. Find a Hair Stylist You Can Call Your BFF: Lupita’s got words to live by when it comes to finding a badass hair stylist “A barber… it’s like dating — you choose your man!” In other words, your hair stylist should be able to understand your all-emoji texts as well as they understand how your strands will respond to different cuts and styles. So while you’re searching for your scissor sister soul mate, take the styling into your own hands.
6. Healthy Skin is the Key to Happiness: We wholeheartedly agree with another Lupita-ism “when your skin feels good, you feel good,” and that means avoiding chemicals and other gunk that can wreak havoc on your skin. Lupita regularly pampers her skin with nourishing avocado and ultra-moisturizing kukui nut oil ($7.50), and it doesn’t take much to hop on her A-list routine. All you need to do to get started on this all-natural skincare kick is to visit your pantry!
Which of Lupita’s beauty bits are YOU going to try out? Which other celebs have you stole hair, makeup and skincare tips from? Tell us in the comments below.