8 Marimekko Designs We Want to See Get a High Fashion Makeover
When staple pieces from the Banana Republic x Marimekko collaboration sold out within a week earlier this summer, we pouted over putting off our trip to shop what might have been the trendiest thing to ever come out of BR’s storefront. Aaand what might have been the most wearable fashions ever launched by the Finnish design house, too. Don’t get us wrong, we’re crazy obsessed with the cheery patterns that have brightened our days ever since we first laid eyes upon the 60-odd year old textile brand. But when it comes to their in-house line of dresses, separates and outerwear, the prints aren’t enough to win us over on their billowy styles.
Smocks, shifts and tent dresses round out Marimekko’s roster of roomy silhouettes in a classic and unflattering case of the clothes wearing the woman. Even cinched by a belt or draped with a statement necklace, each patterned piece would end up looking too overworked. It’s all evidence that the expert tailors at Banana Republic deserve heaps of credit for taming Marimekko’s quirky prints into garments that match the modern sensibility (and price range) of professionals across the globe. And as ladies who are constantly on the hunt for more stylish office garb, we only want to see more of that editing eye at work.
Well, the BR sellout might have triggered just that. According to a Fast Company profile, Marimekko has recruited “fashion hotshot” Anna Teurnell as its brand-new creative director. Formerly of H&M’s higher-end, Europe-based counterpart & Other Stories, Teurnell has been enlisted primarily to revamp Marimekko’s style offerings for a trendier audience. And that means some time soon, we’ll get more of what we missed out on this summer from the brand: refined and ultra colorful ready-to-wear. Teurnell, we’re sending high-five emojis your way already, but get ready for the praise hands (and dollar billz) to come at’cha if you give a high-street makeover to these eight Marimekko designs.
1. Hilloke Dress ($140): The colors are gorg — and perfect for rocking that orange lip, too! — but we’re not completely sold on the rounded drop shoulders and the elastic ruching. We’d love to see this silky piece reimagined as a slip dress that could be worn by its slinky self or under a cap-sleeved tee.
2. Platu Dress ($208): We love the idea of a pattern block shift dress, especially one that’s so pleasantly structured. But for us, the proportions of each striped segment are just off. Rather than having our figures broken up into three stumpy segments, we’re dreaming that the horizontal lines continued all the way down the dress to create a sleeker look. Keep the pocket, though! And definitely save that red stripe for a pop of color… on the back, perhaps!?
4. Byysa Pant ($78): The cut of these trousers is divine, but we’re gonna have to red flag the pattern choice (oof). But really, it’s Marimekko’s own fault — we’re just still swooning over their bolder patterned cropped pant for BR. #bringitback
5. Tasan Dress ($118): We’re obsessed with the pixel-like pattern of this hyper-colored dress, but we’d die to see it revamped as a preppy fit and flare. It would essentially be an even more figure-flattering version of itself.
6. Kasha Top ($74): Love the bubbly pattern, but there’s too much of it for our taste. Easy fix — crop it like it’s hot! The result is a sophisticated (when worn with, say, high-waisted trousers or a matching pant) that’s worthy of a dinner date under a boxy blazer or a GNO with a skater skirt.
7. Nekas Jacket ($378): With a blazer collar and retro-inspired three-quarter sleeves and a cropped hemline, this jacket is referencing way too much. We’re dreaming up a new moto-inspired look for it that keeps the relaxed fit but gives it a much-needed edge.
8. Lisse Top ($160): This top might be the most makeover-worthy piece in Marimekko’s collection: a button-down, bubble-sleeved blouse. Or coat. Or blouse. Never mind ’cause in our dream world, it would be redone as a dreamy shirt dress perfect for your 9 to 5 and beyond.
How would YOU makeover your fave Marimekko pieces? DL your patterned dream wardrobe with us in the comments below.
(h/t Fast Company)