5 Style Tips to Steal From Mindy Kaling’s Latest Photo Shoot
Even though we may chuckle constantly at her one-liners on Twitter and LOL over that time she trolled Tinder, it’s safe to say that our fave way to follow our imaginary BFF Mindy Kaling is via Instagram. Not only do we love the extra special peek into the life of someone we admire so, but Mindy can snap an #ootd like nobody’s business. So much so that this will be the second time we’ve dedicated an entire post to her super stylish squares.
The pics we’re currently ogling are straight from the set of her cover shoot for her next book, Why Not Me?, and these behind-the-scenes snaps confirm that the actor-writer-producer-author can now add “trendsetter” to that long list of impressive roles. If you weren’t already taking style cues from the superstar funny girl, get ready to nab some serious pointers from Mindy’s supremely documented dress-up day (cover outfit still TBD!).
1. Colorful Pumps Are a Must: Yes, all of the dresses are killer, from this Opening Ceremony skater dress to the lace-embellished Dolce frock (ooh, just wait till you scroll down!). But take note how each outfit is made by the pop of color courtesy of her bright pumps. We’re SO glad that the days of donning basic nude heels are officially over.
Guess Ambelu ($110), BCBG Paris Jaze Nubuck D’Orsay Pump ($60), ASOS Swiss Pointed Heels ($50) + BCBG Generation Conrad ($115): Match Mindy’s rainbow heel collection with one of these fabulous pairs of bold-colored pumps that range from walkable to werkin’ it. Mindy is our muse for clashing colors with confidence — be sure to channel that on your next night out.
2. A Midi Just Might Be Your Sartorial Secret Weapon: Shut the front door. Mindy looks like a total bombshell in this body-con midi dress that flatters her curves like a dream. Did you ever think something with complete coverage from shoulder to wrist to knee could look so commanding and um… totally hot?
Textured Knit Bodycon Dress ($20) + Fashion Star Midi Dress by Hunter Bell ($113): If you haven’t already been swept away by the midi skirt trend, then consider this your excuse to indulge in an at-the-knee dress that’s sophisticated and sexy all at once. Even if you’re not bent on the body-con look (though this really is the way to wear the figure-hugging style), a breezier version will wow just as much.
3. Amp Up Your Get Up With Gold Accessories: It looks like Mindy invited plenty of guests to the arm party (and those DIY crowns! We need to know what they’re for!), so we’re planning on being equally as lenient with our guest lists.
Adeline Cuff ($110), #Hashtag Acrylic Necklace ($20), Rising Sign Earrings ($96) + Matchstick Ring ($23): Lucky for all of us, gold bling isn’t at all hard to come by. The tough part is choosing which piece to wear (though we’d mix + match ALL of the above!).
4. Pockets Make the Dress: If Mindy can rock a dress with a kangaroo pocket on the cover of her destined-to-be bestseller, then YOU can wear a pocketed frock to just about any formal occasion, too.
Latonia V Neck Pocket Shift Dress ($31) + Closet Pencil Dress With Pockets ($46): Super convenient front slits make this pink shift dress feel even more effortless — a must-have vibe at even the fanciest of fêtes, while the sides of the sculptural pencil dress make it easy to stash touch-up essentials like lip gloss for moments when you’re away from your purse.
5. Make Waves With Your ‘Do: The one constant in all of Mindy’s snaps is her loose waves — a look that even at its most tousled looks all kinds of ethereal.
Retro Curls + Flat Iron Crimp: Whether you’re attending a red carpet-level event or wanting to look polished at your 9 to 5, a wavy ‘do is the way to go. But the even bigger tip? These retro glam + everyday waves are sooo DIY-able! (via Brit + Co).
What is it about Mindy Kaling’s style that YOU love? Is it the color? The quirkiness? Tell us in the comments below.