ICYMI: TV wonder woman and pop-culture maven Mindy Kaling was honored as one of Glamour’s Women of the Year earlier this week. (Congrats, Mindy!) In addition to her super-hilar tweets and Instas, we adore her penchant for sporting mixed print match-ups in florals and plaids and wearing sequins any chance she gets. And we consider her one of our BFFs because she says what’s on her mind, doesn’t shy away from anything and her style is bananas: B-A-N-A-N-A-S. We rounded up 14 party-ready looks for the holidays, inspired by our favorite fashionable funny gal. (And Mindy, if you’re reading this, consider it a plea for you and stylist Salvador Perez to roll out a collab clothing line soon — the jewelry line just wasn’t enough!).
1. Embellished Neckline + Sleeves: 2014 has been a fab year for Mindy, and it got even better when she debuted this red carpet look for Monday’s award ceremony on Instagram. Mindy and Sal decided to go for a ’60s-mod look, and it is spot on. Dazzle in white this winter in a similarly blinged out Eliza J Embellished Shift Dress ($158) and don’t forget to frost yourself with Frozen-inspired makeup and accessories, like this silver metallic clutch ($58). (Image via Glamour)
2. Next-Level Lace: “I feel the same way about clothes as I do about food,” Mindy told Vogue. “I want everything.” So do we, Mindy — from your closet, that is. For her, the bolder the print and color, the better. Lift everyone’s spirits this holiday season with this stunning Lakeside Libations Dress ($90) that’s meant for canoodling under the mistletoe. (Image via People’s Choice)
3. Bold Floral: Florals aren’t just for spring; Mindy sports them all year round under her Jackie O-inspired trench coats. (Fun fact: she wore this Roberto Cavalli dress backwards!) Life’s a rom-com, and you never know when you’ll meet your match. Who knows, maybe it’ll be at Friendsgiving. This Lipstick Boutique Floral Pencil Dress ($124) is sure to make you stand out in the room. (Image via Instagram)
4. Colorful Graphics: Mindy’s portrayal of Dr. Lahiri, busy bee and busy body doctor extraordinaire, hits close to home. As the creator, writer, producer, showrunner and star of The Mindy Project, we’re amazed at how she manages to do it all. This is Mindy gone minimalist, and we’re so in. You’ll get all the compliments at your next shindig in this color blocked, geometric River Island Colorblocked Shift Dress ($76). (Image via Shop Your TV)
5. Embellished All-Over: Mindy’s embellished matching set was one of our favorite outfits on her of all time. Period. Fangirls, get the vibe with a glitzy co-ord ($173) or wow in this Jessica Simpson Metallic Lace V-Neck Dress ($178) that’s the exact same swoon-worthy emerald hue. (Image via Us Weekly)
6. Classy Cutouts: Next to structured shifts and jacquard pencil skirts, the bodycon is one of Mindy’s signature silhouettes. We love this magenta Trina Turk Judith Dress ($149) and its peek-a-boo shoulder cut outs. Amp it up with turquoise accessories like these leather tassel earrings ($38) and open toe heels ($84). Mindy’s got Jennifer Meyer Diamond and Turquoise Kite Studs ($6,750 — mega splurge!) on her lobes. (Image via Instagram)
7. Hyper-Patterned: Looking to network at your S.O.’s holiday work party? You’ll be a walking work of art in a hip-hugging sheath like ASOS Curve’s Dress in Digital Geo Print ($46), or save up and go for the real deal in Mindy’s Opening Ceremony x Magritte Dress ($375). Complete this edgy look with a faux leather sleeved blazer ($120) to look like a total #GIRLBOSS. (Image via Instagram)
8. Vintage-Style Sequins: We can’t think of a more perfect NYE dress. Ring in the new year with Aryn K Sequined Shift Dress ($110) to go watts out in the photo booth with your love. (Bonus points if yours has moves like Chris Messina. Diamond Dan, anybody??) If you’re looking for a full-length gown to celebrate 2015, check out this Loverobe Mesh Dress ($169) that features a frilly pattern. (Image via The Mindy Project)
9. Super Fun + Sculptural: If Mindy was a Pantone color, she’d be a delightfully spunky shade of pink — it’s her power color. We love the geometric details on this ASOS Curve Origami Asymmetrical Dress ($104). (Image via The Daily Mail)
10. Not Your Average Animal Print: In “Caramel Princess Time,” Mindy made Danny pay for leaving her stranded at the comedy club by setting his phone back an extra hour. Miraculously, he makes it to work (in tiny blue running shorts, nonetheless — see?) and moonwalks his way to his office. Rock this Kate Spade Cyber Cheetah Dawson Dress ($238) with a moto jacket for a look that’s always on time. (Image via Wavy Hair Girl Style)
11. Holiday Sequins: The mermaid green sequin dress that started it all. Steal this look from The Mindy Project pilot — our lookalike is this Nanette Lepore Cabaret Dress ($125) —when Dr. Lahiri spirals out of control, crashes an ex-boyfriend’s wedding, rides a bike into a pool and realizes it’s time to get her life together. As witnesses to her quarter-life-crisis struggle, we found Mindy instantly relatable and soon after, she became every girl’s best friend. (Image via Zimbio)
12. Stripes in Every Color: Seriously, is there anything Mindy can’t do? Celebrate this year’s major successes in technicolor with this vintage-feeling Jolie Moi Bardot Organza Dress ($104), you domestic goddess, you. (Image via Instagram)
13. Sparkly Shoulders: Leave it to Mindy to rock an LBD that’s not-so-basic but oh-so-glam. Beaded or embroidered, let a dress with embellished sleeves like this ASOS Curve Embellished Skater Dress ($85) amp up your whole look without excessive accessorizing. (Image via Instagram)
14. Pep-It-Up With Peplum: We have a feeling Mindy would host the best parties… and knowing her love of loungewear (still chic, natch), she’d probably make it pajama themed. But if it’s your first year hosting, you’ve got to pull out all the stops and dress to impress. Nothing like a peplum to add a bit of flair without the bulk — we’re adding this River Island Peplum Ruffle Dress ($95) to our cart stat! (Image via Hello Giggles)
You just love Mindy, don’t you? Which look are you planning on rocking around the Christmas tree? Talk to us in the comments!