Morning Buzz! Beyoncé SLAYED With This Powerful Surprise BET Performance + More
The BET Awards delivered huge and Pride celebrations will give you serious #squadgoals, plus more stories making some buzz this morning!
1. Beyoncé prefers to keep things a surprise these days. Rumors swirled leading up to last night’s BET Awards that Bey might perform even though she wasn’t scheduled to, and when some of her backup dancers were seen on the red carpet, the hive started buzzing. As soon as the show kicked off, it was confirmed: Along with Kendrick Lamar, Bey delivered a fiery version of “Freedom,” barefoot and engulfed in smoke. With the stunning Prince tributes from Jennifer Hudson (QUEEN) and Janelle Monáe, among others, it was one of the best awards shows of the year. Watch Bey and Kendrick’s full performance here.
— Orange Is the New… (@OITNB) June 26, 2016
2. The OITNB cast celebrated Pride weekend in NYC together and it looked magical. Pride festivities around the world this weekend felt more charged and full of love than ever in the wake of the Orlando tragedy. A London police officer took over headlines this weekend when he proposed to his boyfriend during the Pride parade (he said yes, btw!), and in NYC the cast of OITNB celebrated as a proud pack, wearing some of the Parade’s absolute bestaccessories. 2016’s coolest squad, right here.
— Tami Rich, MBA (@bostonheartmom) June 26, 2016
3. Keith Urban’s on-stage anniversary tribute for wife Nicole Kidman on their 10th anniversary is AMAZING. OMG, these two lovebirds. At a recent tour stop in Boston, Keith Urban dedicated a whole segment of his show to Nicole, who couldn’t be there because of a last-minute filming schedule change that kept her in Australia. He shared stories, photos and videos from their relationship, and even FaceTimed her at one point. Fans in the front row even made signs to help the happy couple celebrate.
4. The new Star Trek Beyond trailer features an EPIC song from Rihanna. The third trailer for the upcoming Star Trek movie was released today, and this might be the best one yet because of the slice of Rihanna’s “Sledgehammer” we get to hear. Will this be her “Don’t Want to Miss a Thing”?! Time will tell.
5. This field is the workweek ahead of a holiday weekend and the dog is all of us. We will embrace it, and we will defeat it.
6. Quote of the day: “I lived fast and I was going to die young. I didn’t think I would make it to 21.” Demi Lovato, from her candid and moving piece on her addiction and eating disorder battles.
What is your #MondayMotivation this morning? Let us know over @BritandCo!
(Featured photo via @beyonce)
It can be intimidating to step out on your own and build a business from the ground up. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're talking with Selfmade alum and solopreneur Colette Lawrence, the faith-based motivator and relationship builder behind The M.E.E. Movement, about ways in which women in business can find success.
B + C: How did you know M.E.E. Movement was your business to start?
The M.E.E Movement represents motivation, empowerment, and encouragement for women. It is what represents me. I did not know at first that it was my business to start, but then the thought of monetizing what I loved came to me. It scared me, however. I registered the business in July 2020 and have been slowly building my wings since.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
Thinking through and researching what the requirements are to start my business, and then asking questions of people who are in the business. Not all advice worked; however, it helped me to figure out what I needed to do and not to do.
B + C: Did you always know life coaching would be your entrepreneurial path?
(Smiles) No, I did not. I 'stumbled" on it. I knew that people were always coming to me for advice and I found that I loved having conversations with them, especially with women, young and old.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
My most valuable takeaway was the first day of training: Get out of your own way. There were a lot of great moments and important takeaways from every presenter. However, getting out of my own way, pushing past doubts, was for me my most valuable takeaway. Doing something that I had never done before took courage. If I do not focus on what is happening with me mentally then I cannot deliver to my clients successfully.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Get out of your head. You have something to offer. You have what you need to succeed so go ahead and do it.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I stay motivated by listening to music and listening to motivational speakers, and sometimes someone will just reach out and talk about the impact that I made in their life. That adds the extra juice or sauce I need to pummel through the day.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip?
Keep a diary and journal. It's the best way for me to keep organized and it also provides a source motivation as I record not only my "losses" but my wins as well.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Shirley Toliver – She motivates and empowers and makes me always want to show up.
B + C: What has receiving the Office Depot scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start or grow your business?
The scholarship was a blessing in that all the areas that were covered offered valuable information that I needed, from social media to HR. As a new business owner, I needed to know this to increase my own personal awareness in what it takes to run a successful business. The candidness of the presenters made it easy to see myself in their shoes and helped me to realize that I can also get there.
Want to feel motivated to take the next step for your business? Let Office Depot OfficeMax give you the confidence you need with a suite of business services & solutions to help you put your best foot forward. Make a good first impression with business cards & build the business pitch of your dreams with custom presentations. With Office Depot OfficeMax you'll find the tools to reach new customers with confidence.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.