Morning Buzz! Blake Lively’s Advice to Her Daughters Following the Election Are Words to Live By + More
From some inspiring words from Blake Lively to a controversial concert by Kanye West, check out six of today’s top news items below.
1. Blake Lively made her first official public appearance since having baby #2 a few weeks ago, appearing last night at L’Oréal Paris’s Women of Worth celebration in a simple and stunning all-dark errthing outfit. While on the red carpet, ELLE asked what advice she’d give to her girls, or to any other young woman feeling left behind after the election. “You know, just to use your voice. Don’t let anybody silence you, ever, and it’s about spreading love, you know?” She continued, “You just have to set an example, you know? It’s so important. In times like this you can either curl up and be really depressed about the state of communities that are underserved, or you can set that example for your children.” (Photo via Michael Loccisano/Getty)
"I would have voted for Trump." – Kanye West pic.twitter.com/g9qxaT7aRc
— billy (@billycrossover) November 18, 2016
2. Kanye West got booed at his own concert for saying he would have voted for Trump. After arriving late to his San Jose date on his Saint Pablo tour last night, Kanye proceeded to unleash a whack of political opinions on the audience who were not there for it. After saying that he didn’t vote in the election but if he did, he would have voted for Trump, he also went on to say that America should stop focusing on racism, telling the crowd “Specifically to black people, stop focusing on racism… we are in a racist country. Period… not one or the other candidate was going to instantly change that.” Kanye’s an artist to whom fans usually hang onto every word, but there was a lot of loud booing in the room last night.
3. Blac Chyna is wasting NO time hustling back to her pre-baby body and shared her post-Dream weight already. Only a week after having her daughter Dream, Chyna is making good on her promise to snap right back to a post-baby weight, sharing snaps of her healthy dinner and of her standing on the scale, saying that she’s already dropped from 192lbs to 177lbs just seven days post-partum. Of course, not every woman wants or needs to worry about losing weight immediately after a pregnancy, but if that’s a goal of yours, Chyna, go and get it, girl — you’re already well on your way there. (Photo via Snapchat)
4. Making a Murderer‘s Brendan Dassey won’t be getting out of jail right away after all. After having his conviction overturned in August and being ordered released from prison just four days ago, the federal appeals court has blocked Brendan’s release from prison. His release is still being appealed by the state, and they filed — successfully — to have him remain in prison during the appeal. (Photo via Netflix)
I've been laughing at this for 26 minutes straight pic.twitter.com/0qKZ1sSIoq
— ♡ (@juliannakarina) November 16, 2016
5. And as a Friday treat, let us all relate a little too much to this dog who tried to eat the bone painted on the bottom of its water bowl. Oh nice pupper, that’s not a real treat. But we totally feel you.
6. Quote of the day: “It always seems impossible until it’s all done.” Words of wisdom from Nelson Mandela that relate to the end of the work week as much as anything.
Do you have any weekend projects planned? Let us know over @BritandCo.
(Featured photo via Michael Loccisano/Getty)
Pocket doors are so delightful in and of themselves. They appear when you need them, get tucked away when you don't, and make it easy to define rooms while keeping an open floor plan. Add to the pocket door a joyful patterned wallpaper surprise, and you will be sent right into fits of visual jubilation! Or something ;) Today we're sharing two simple and impactful pocket door makeovers that zhuzh up your space in a jiffy.
Anjelika Temple here, co-founder of Brit + Co and proud owner of several pocket doors! When I moved into my first real grown-up house a couple years ago, I knew I wanted to incorporate wallpaper so reached out to our friends at Chasing Paper to see how we might collaborate. It felt like a total lightbulb moment when I realized I could create a surprise pop of pattern on a couple sets of pocket doors.
Not only is it a whimsical way to bring color into a space, but the doors double as picture-perfect backdrops for all your SFH (selfies from home, obvs).
A few pro tips about install:
- Removable wallpaper is miraculously forgiving! You can take it on and off multiple times without it losing integrity (or mucking up your surface).
- I ordered this adhesive wallpaper installation kit with a squeegee and xacto knife and it worked super well. I also recommend a sharp pair of scissors for cutting longer lines.
- This is a two-person job! Get a friend, put on a playlist, and get ready to bond.
- Wild, organic patterns like Tally are great because it's challenging to spot any imperfections in pattern alignment; keep pattern choice in mind if you've got a lot of corners to match up. More geometric patterns and larger shapes leave less room for error (but are awesome in their own right!).
BATHROOM POCKET DOORS
In our primary bathroom, we chose the wallpaper pattern Tally, designed by Kelly Ventura, in White and Navy. In our space, the navy reads as a soft black, which is perfect for the space. It's easy to combine an ever-rotating collection of linens with the Tally pattern.
I love how the white trim becomes the perfect frame around this pocket door piece of art.
My favorite moment in this space is the fact that you actually get a third pop of pattern thanks to our serendipitously placed mirror!
And yes, this one works pretty darn well as a backdrop too ;)
LIVING ROOM DOUBLE DOORS
This set of doors is definitely a focal point of our home. It separates our living room from our primary bedroom which opens onto our backyard. The doors are pretty much always open, but when they're closed we wanted to evoke a fun, nature-inspired vibe. With that in mind, we selected the Lines and Moons pattern by Thimblepress in Green and Brown.
Earth mama vibes up in here! I love how the shapes and colors echo the ferns you see through the windows and the acorn wood details throughout the house.
Love this pattern moment, and xacto-ing out the door handle is def on the oddly satisfying DIY list.
For a pattern lover like me, I love that now I have this instant photo backdrop!
Thanks to Chasing Paper for providing these rolls of pure pattern amazingness. Head to chasingpaper.com to find our own favorites and start adding patterns to your home!
(Wallpaper wingwoman: Kayla Haykin; Photography: Kurt Andre)