Morning Buzz! JAY-Z Reveals Relationship With Beyoncé “Wasn’t Built on the 100 Percent Truth” + More
Jay-Z gets personal and we’re all getting free ice cream in this morning’s top news stories. Check out those and more below in the Tuesday Morning Buzz!
1. In the “Footnotes for 4:44” video, a follow-up to the video for his new album’s title track, Jay-Z details some of the rockier moments in his marriage that fueled much of the subject matter on his new album 4:44 (and Bey’s Lemonade). “[W]e built this big, beautiful mansion of a relationship that wasn’t totally built on the 100 percent truth and it starts cracking. Things start happening that the public can see,” Jay-Z says, before alluding to what sounds like some seriously hard times. “Then we had to get to a point of, ‘Okay, tear this down and let’s start from the beginning … It’s the hardest thing I’ve ever done.” Later, he seems to recall a vacay with Beyoncé where she was on the brink of leaving. “What is happening to my body right now? Did I just say … ‘Don’t leave’? All this is new for me.” Jay goes on to admit that letting Bey hear the honesty of the album was hard, but was fundamental to keeping their renewed relationship strong. “We just got to a place where in order for this to work, this can’t be fake. Not one ounce. I’m not saying it wasn’t uncomfortable because obviously it was.” The video also features personal conversations with Jesse Williams, Kendrick Lamar, Will Smith and many more, and you can watch it via Tidal (with a subscription, natch). (h/t People; photo via Mike Coppola/Getty)
2.Nelsan Ellis’ family reveals his heartbreaking cause of death.True Blood fans were devastated to learn of Ellis’ death at only 39 years old as a result of complications from heart failure earlier this week. Now, his family is elaborating on his struggles with drugs and alcohol, saying in a statement through Ellis’ agent, “After many stints in rehab, Nelsan attempted to withdraw from alcohol on his own. According to his father, during his withdrawal from alcohol he had a blood infection, his kidneys shut down, his liver was swollen, his blood pressure plummeted, and his dear sweet heart raced out of control.” The statement says that Ellis was ashamed of his addiction, but his family hopes his death may help others, which is why they chose to open up. Our thoughts are with them. (h/t Variety; photo via Ethan Miller/Getty)
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Ryan Reynolds (@vancityreynolds) on
3. Ryan Reynolds sent a sweet (and funny) congrats to Wonder Woman for beating Deadpool at the box office. Over the weekend, Wonder Woman surpassed Deadpool at the domestic box office, and Reynolds posted a sweet — and cheeky — congrats to the film. “The Merc may be filthier, but her B.O. is stronger,” Reynolds wrote in a caption of a pic showing Deadpool’s gloved hands making a heart shape around a Wonder Woman necklace. “Congrats #WonderWoman.” Cute!
4. Marvel has found their Squirrel Girl: Meet Milana Vayntrub! You might recognize her best as Lily from those AT&T commercials, or from her role on This Is Us as Kevin’s Broadway costar, Sloane. Now Vayntrub joins Marvel’s New Warriors show in the role of Squirrel Girl (sorry, Anna Kendrick!). New Warriors is set to launch in 2018. (h/t THR; photo via Tibrina Hobson/Getty )
— McDonald's (@McDonalds) July 11, 2017
5. THIS IS NOT A DRILL: McDonald’s is giving away free soft serve. This Sunday, July 16, McDonald’s will be dishing out free cones. To get one, just download the McDonald’s mobile app, check under “my deals,” and voila. The free cones celebrate not only national ice cream day, but the new soft serve recipe, which has ditched artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives. Even BETTER. (h/t Business Insider)
6. Quote of the day: “Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, ‘I’m possible!'” A classic Audrey Hepburn quote to turn your mood around.
How do you get yourself into a more positive mood? Let us know @BritandCo!
(Featured photo via Mike Coppola/Getty)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)