You’ve got all the closet basics down — desk-to-date blazer, wear-anywhere LBD, killer jeans… check, check and check. Your accessories are on point too; you regularly rock go-to standards like the right sunglasses for your face shape and classic pearl studs. But this year, consider a closet-staple revamp to bring your go-to accents into next-level territory. The upgrade is easy: Invest in familiar, versatile pieces that bring a little something special to your grown-up getup — say, a tote bag with a touch of pizzazz or stacking rings that stand out from the rest. Here are eight simple but totally rad accessories every lady needs to finish that perfect ensemble.
A Quirky Grown-Up Bag
1. Zara Leather City Bag ($119): This roomy tote is the perfect bag for lugging around your laptop by day or your extra pair of flats (when you go out in those heels you have a love/hate relationship with) by night. It’ll match every single thing you own while still turning heads (that adorable cat-eared luggage tag!), and its sturdy pebbled leather and minimal hardware mean this beauty will stand the test of time.
2. Anthropologie Caicos Mismatched Earrings ($168): These customizable earrings are the perfect multi-tasker to add to your repertoire. Wear the sparkling marine mini-drop earrings for a demure look or add the Deco-inspired jacket of jewels for those nights that call for some all-out bling.
3. Topshop Sahara Cateye Sunglasses ($35): No other frame could be more ubiquitous chic than the iconic cat eye. The pointed shades have graced the faces of everyone from Jackie O to Betty Page, changing ever so slightly as the years go on, but always maintaining their flattering shape. These green and gold sunnies are fit for everyday wear, but will still have you feeling like a classic Hollywood starlet.
4. Janessa Leone Lessen Bluestone ($193): Protect your pretty face from the sun in this ultra-cool-girl, wide-brim hat. The bluestone color and understated gold accent take this basic topper into flea-market-treasure territory. Pair with a monochromatic outfit to nail the look.
There’s-Something-Different Black Pumps
5. Madewell The Mira Midi Heel ($168): Every lady needs a good pair of black heels. Whether they’re worn with a cocktail dress or ripped jeans, the standbys will always work effortlessly. The midi heel and low-cut vamp on this pair make these classics just as cool as you are.
Non-Sparkly Statement Necklace
6. BaubleBar Poisson Collar Necklace ($68): Statement meets staple in this bold yet simple stunner. The Grecian princess vibe of this collar necklace will pop — no sparkle necessary — against an emerald shift dress, your all-black work uniform, an everyday tee…the list goes on.
Chic Stacking Rings
7. COS Stacked Rings ($22): Entirely wearable and universally flattering, rose gold should be in every girl’s jewelry box. A no-fail way to add the metal to your wearables? This shiny stacked wraparound ring, worn on its own or mixed with other metals for boho elegance.
8. Zara Long Fringed Scarf ($40) Make braving a chill the centerpiece of your outfit with a vivid blanket scarf. Wear it wrapped over your shoulders in a dress or top your wool coat in the cold. The colorful stripes, extra long tails and fun fringe will turn any getup into a showstopper.
How would you elevate your accessories? Share your favorite styling tip with us on Twitter!