1. If you’re looking at colleges, remember to take school rankings with a huge grain of salt: A huge portion of a school’s position in the U.S. News and World Report, one of the most widely used rankings, comes from what faculty and staff at other schools think School X is like. As Teen Vogue writes, valuing schools in this way makes it all about reputation, since faculty at some other school across the country likely don’t have intimate knowledge of how School X works for its students.
2. Don’t freak out over the study that says the earth’s temperature is going up by seven degrees: There is a new study on climate, but some news outlets are running a little too wild with the findings. What it really found in that regard is the same thing we’ve known for a while: global temperatures are likely locked in to 0.5 to 1 degree of increase. It’s useful to scientists for other reasons, but for us regular folks, that’s about it.
3. Get ready for the super-spooky-sounding Black Moon this Friday: It’s not actually some sort of Halloween-inspired lunar event. A “black moon” happens when two new moons occur within a calendar month; it’s the second one. The last black moon was in March of 2014. You’ll have to check for yourself to see if that has any impact on your horoscope.
4. Katy Perry really wants you to vote (and wear clothes to do it): According to Katy Perry in the video above, you can show up to your polling station on November 8 looking absolutely terrible, and they will still let you vote. Just remember to wear some clothes, because public indecency laws still apply.
5. This dad liked his daughter’s modeling work so much he redid it himself: They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right? Well, then this dad is definitely flattering his daughter. When he found out he was staying in the same hotel at which she did a photoshoot, Vince Divarco redid all of his daughter Kendel’s shots. Looking good, Vince.
Let us know what you’re keeping track of: tweet us at @BritandCo!
(Photos via Getty)