7 Apps That Are Basically a Personal Trainer on Your Phone
Thanks to delicious holiday recipes, this time of the year is often marked by lots of good eating. Gingerbread cookies by the dozen, turkey, hot chocolate with homemade marshmallows, eggnog, pumpkin pies and lots and lots of champagne in pretty glasses. Throw in a heap of Netflix and chillin’ (like literal Netflix + chilling) and, well, we’re ready to make some new fitness goals. To keep those resolutions long into 2016, we need a personal coach to pump us up, encourage us and at times, kick our butts. Luckily, thanks to our handy gadgets, you don’t have to shell out the big bucks anymore. Here are seven workout apps that will put a personal trainer right in your pocket.
1. FitStar Personal Trainer: FitStar is the gold standard when is comes to personal training apps. The brainchild of NFL player Tony Gonzalez, this DL is such an intelligent app, it’s as though you were training with a real person. After every move, the app will ask you how many reps you completed and the difficulty of the workout. Based on your answers, the app will customize your workouts over time according to your strengths and weaknesses. Smart and personal.
2. Sworkit: Sworkit aims to be the app that will fit your schedule no matter what sort of hurdles life throws in your way. You can customize your workout to last as long as you’d like it to and also select moves for only the parts of the body you’d like to focus on.
3. Fitmo: This DL literally puts a personal trainer on your phone… as in, you are video conferencing in with your trainer during a session. The best part is Fitmo provides you with a list of pros that you can hire and your coach will then tailor your training according to your needs.
DL It: Free on iOS
4. Spring Moves: When it comes to running apps, Spring Moves tops the list. The music bumping in the background is like the heartbeat of your running sesh. Spring Moves allows you to select which genres are your fave and provides you with the perfect soundtrack to your run. It’ll also log your time and track your progress.
DL It: Free on iOS
5. Runtastic: Another running app, Runtastic will track your time and map your distance, but it’ll also keep tabs on your heart rate and analyze your progress so that you can improve and adjust accordingly. Running that marathon can finally come off your bucket list.
6. CARROT Fit: CARROT is one sassy virtual personal trainer with her tongue-in-cheek, Justin Bieber-bashing drill sergeant-like locution. You might actually get a real workout in between the laughing — and yes, nothing is sacred or safe with CARROT around.
DL It: $2.99 on iOS
7. Nike+ Training Club: Nike’s own running and exercise app is a must-have in the personal training app arena. Yes, it tracks your runs. Yes, it even plays music so you can run in peace. It also provides you WODs you can do along with with brief videos to illustrate specific workouts.
Do you have any favorite fitness apps you’d like to share? Tweet us @BritandCo!
It can be intimidating to step out on your own and build a business from the ground up. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're talking with Selfmade alum and solopreneur Colette Lawrence, the faith-based motivator and relationship builder behind The M.E.E. Movement, about ways in which women in business can find success.
B + C: How did you know M.E.E. Movement was your business to start?
The M.E.E Movement represents motivation, empowerment, and encouragement for women. It is what represents me. I did not know at first that it was my business to start, but then the thought of monetizing what I loved came to me. It scared me, however. I registered the business in July 2020 and have been slowly building my wings since.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
Thinking through and researching what the requirements are to start my business, and then asking questions of people who are in the business. Not all advice worked; however, it helped me to figure out what I needed to do and not to do.
B + C: Did you always know life coaching would be your entrepreneurial path?
(Smiles) No, I did not. I 'stumbled" on it. I knew that people were always coming to me for advice and I found that I loved having conversations with them, especially with women, young and old.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
My most valuable takeaway was the first day of training: Get out of your own way. There were a lot of great moments and important takeaways from every presenter. However, getting out of my own way, pushing past doubts, was for me my most valuable takeaway. Doing something that I had never done before took courage. If I do not focus on what is happening with me mentally then I cannot deliver to my clients successfully.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Get out of your head. You have something to offer. You have what you need to succeed so go ahead and do it.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I stay motivated by listening to music and listening to motivational speakers, and sometimes someone will just reach out and talk about the impact that I made in their life. That adds the extra juice or sauce I need to pummel through the day.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip?
Keep a diary and journal. It's the best way for me to keep organized and it also provides a source motivation as I record not only my "losses" but my wins as well.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Shirley Toliver – She motivates and empowers and makes me always want to show up.
B + C: What has receiving the Office Depot scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start or grow your business?
The scholarship was a blessing in that all the areas that were covered offered valuable information that I needed, from social media to HR. As a new business owner, I needed to know this to increase my own personal awareness in what it takes to run a successful business. The candidness of the presenters made it easy to see myself in their shoes and helped me to realize that I can also get there.
Want to feel motivated to take the next step for your business? Let Office Depot OfficeMax give you the confidence you need with a suite of business services & solutions to help you put your best foot forward. Make a good first impression with business cards & build the business pitch of your dreams with custom presentations. With Office Depot OfficeMax you'll find the tools to reach new customers with confidence.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.