Celebrate Blue Jeans’ Birthday With Pinterest’s 10 Most Searched Denim Trends
Did you know that May 20 is the birthday of the invention of blue jeans? Yeah, neither did we. It’s time to celebrate by having fun with your denim. Why? Well, because everyone else is, for one. According to Pinterest, pinners are looking to refresh their denim with all sorts of updates, searching trends including patchwork, fringed hems, and embellishment. No longer just a basic, women want their denim to look fun and fresh — and are taking to the app for inspo. Below, the top 10 denim categories trending on Pinterest right now and where to snag them for yourself.
Cropped Flare Denim
The MVP denim shape RN, try them with a wrap blouse and pumps, a la Aimee Song. (Photo via Aimee Song)
1. Maybe it’s their ability to seamlessly transition from heels to flats to sneakers. Maybe it’s their quirky, geek-chic vibe. Either way, cropped flare jeans like these Who What Wear X Target Women’s Crop Flare Denim ($25) are officially a closet must-have.
2. A relaxed pair like these GRLFRND Helena Straight Crop Jeans ($228) are a less clingy (and less exposing) way to take on the trend. Perfection.
Let it all hang out this season — all the threads, that is. Bonus points for pairing with edgy ballet flats. (Photo via ohhcouture)
3. Fringey, frayed hems like these Pistola Tallis Comfort Crop Flare Jeans ($98) give you a dose of edgy without looking sloppy. Give ’em here, now.
Why pick one wash when you can have two? Two-tone denim makes a statement all its own, even when worn with just a simple cami. (Photo via fashionsgirl)
4. Pieced-together pairs like these DL1961 Mara Instasculpt Ankle Straight Step-Hem Jeans ($198) look vintage and reworked, but with a modern, stretchy fit. #Bestofbothworlds.
Take that reworked vibe one step further with this DIY-inspired trend. If you’re really bold, try it from head to toe (AKA: denim on denim on denim…). (Photo via Jay Miranda)
5. No time to actually do it yourself? Try a pair that looks homemade, like these Topshop MOTO Tonal Embroidered Mom Jeans ($140).
Jewels, embroidery, and all kinds of embellishments make your jeans into hero pieces. Go all black with pearl accents like Nicolette Mason did or try other special details. (Photo via Nicolette Mason)
6. Or embrace the trend with a pair of Vintage America Embroidered Straight-Leg Jeans ($90). Why should accessories have all the fun?
Nothing really says summer casual quite like a denim mini skirt and a classic tee. (Photo via fashionmenow)
7. Throw on this G-Star Raw Arc Button A-Line Skirt ($75) with sneakers for day, then embellished flat sandals for night. Memorial Day weekend, here you come!
This trend has some staying power. Try them in black with sleek flats and prove that moms are cool — and so are their jeans. (Photo via The Closet Heroes)
8. Or just rock a standard blue like the ASOS Original Mom Jean ($51). Then bust out all your cropped shirts for the perfect balance.
Wide Leg Denim
When you just need some room to breathe, opt for a wider leg opening. For extra ease, try them with a longer layer on top. (Photo via Garance Dore)
9. Not only do they look effortlessly cool, but wide legs like these Madewell High Rise Crop Wide Leg Jeans ($128) won’t stick to you when the weather heats up.
Yes, you can wear overalls as a grown up. Just keep them sophisticated by pairing with a white button-down. (Photo via Man Repeller)
10. When layering with more casual pieces like tees, go for a tailored style like these Frame Denim Overalls ($245). You’ll be sleek and comfy all at once.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Getting the word out about your brand takes time, drive, and ingenuity. And it doesn't come easy for many entrepreneurs. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're chatting with Selfmade alum Taylor Morgan McPherson, founder of Sustainable Sparkle Bar, about ways in which she scored press as a solo startup brand and what she learned from Selfmade to take her brand marketing up a notch.
B + C: How did you know Sustainable Sparkle Bar was your business to start?
Glitter has always been my thing, so when I started my event company I decided to make it my niche. I started telling people I threw glitter-themed parties where people would get sparkled with glitter body art and makeup. Six months after that I applied to my first festival and to work with SUR restaurant in West Hollywood.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
I honestly can't say that I've had a specific strategy that I've followed when it comes to getting my business off the ground. I have a PR background so I was just constantly pitching new business and posting on social media.
B + C: What's the biggest challenge you face as a small business owner?
I would say creating a stable income and revenue stream. With a seasonal, event-based business it can be very up and down.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
The relationships I made and the push to start an email database.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I love what I do and I believe in myself 100%. Staying motivated isn't the hard part. Pushing myself to do the work and staying accountable is the hard part.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip? Do you use any apps that help you manage your business?
I keep multiple to-do lists, hand-written and digital. I also tell clients and partners that I will have something to them by a certain time or day so I have to stick to it.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Just do it, take the leap. And don't worry about what anyone else says to thinks.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Issa Rae, I'm so inspired by everything that she's created being a creative and a black woman. It's my dream to have my own show one day based on my life and where I give advice and talk about the world. She's doing it and making people laugh and giving people joy. And it's based in LA. Watching Insecure only further cemented my dreams of wanting to live in LA.
B + C: How did you hear about the Office Depot scholarship?
One of my friends that I met through Camp No Counselors saw an IG ad for it and nominated me.
B + C: What has receiving the scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start/grow your business?
It's completely helped me level up and take my business to another level. Selfmade helped me host my first virtual event and taught me how to set up my website to sell tickets to events and get RSVPs.
B + C: How have Office Depot services or products helped you accomplish more in your business?
I got new cards to send in all of my orders with my discount code on them. I also bought a really cool 4K camera that I now use for my social media.
Let Office Depot OfficeMax help you stand out in the crowd. From signs, posters & banners to promote your business, to marketing materials to keep your customers informed, Office Depot OfficeMax offers a full suite of business services & solutions to help you & your business get noticed.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.