We can’t explain it, but there’s something about swishy summatime pleats that makes us want to sip rosé on a rooftop bar. Peep these 13 playful takes on summer fashion below that prove there is a piece of the pleated trend for everyone.
1. Topshop Box Pleat Bardot Top ($60): You golden ray of sunshine, you. We don’t care if you’re hitting up happy hour at your fave taco joint or dipping your toes in the kiddie pool — this Bardot top with a pleated neckline is just asking for a summer of scandal.
2. J.Crew Pleated Skirt in Berry Print ($98): Let it be known: THIS is what you wear when you’re playing hooky from work or heading to the vineyard for a fancy wine and cheese tasting.
3. Little Moon Olyra Skirt ($175): Take the streets of SoHo by storm with this twirl-worthy floral pleat skirt that packs major swagger. Stylish add-ons include a crop top, tough-girl ankle boots, and retro hoops for a date night-friendly #OOTD that doesn’t try too hard.
4. Kate Spade New York Ditzy Pleated Top ($228): Introducing what we like to call the 24-hour blouse that — you guessed it — you’ll reach for 24/7. Style this daisy printed top alongside a pencil skirt and power pumps for your nine-to-five before slipping into some high-waisted denim shorts and huaraches for a Friday night concert.
5. ASOS Bridal Pleated Frill Plunge Bikini Top ($35) + ASOS Bridal Pleated Frill Skirted Bikini Bottom ($23): Just a reminder that you don’t have to get hitched in a seaside ceremony to rock this frilly white bikini featuring femme pleats. It’s also game for a White party in the Hamptons (a kimono cover-up is required for maximum slayage, natch) or a stint in Tulum.
6. Boohoo Aura Floral Pleated Slinky Wide Leg Culottes ($30): How to survive the first heat wave of the season? We thought you’d never ask. Slip these floral pleated culottes on with a lace-up bodysuit for a fuss-free going-out look.
7. Style Mafia Flouncy Ruffle Shirt ($175): When sweltering temps get the best of you, do away with the “but I can’t wear that” ‘tude. This avant-garde bell-sleeve blouse with micro pleats is just waiting for you to bust a move.
8. H&M Slides ($25): Girlll, running errands across town is about to look fly as hell. Dial it way down this summer with a pair of these patent slides featuring futuristic pleats that will command attention at the crosswalk. Ubiquitous Adidas logo tee, where you at?
9. Club Monaco Jessany Dress ($249): Delicate pleats? Check. Fluttery shoulder ties? Check. Uncanny resemblance to a certain salsa dancer emoji? Bingo. Be it a summer block party or a candlelit dinner with your boo, this LRD (little red dress) is a certified scene-stealer.
10. Seen Worn Kept Uma Pleated Midi Skirt ($148): Dare to be seen in this flashy green pleated midi that may cause a stir at the country club. Team alongside a chambray shirt and trainers for a Wimbledon-bound getup or perhaps Sunday brunch on the UES.
11. & Other Stories Metallic Sheen Dress ($65): When it’s hot AF and you just want to toss your locks into a messy top knot, this is the shimmery pink pleated slip you’ll reach for without fail. Pair with an ivory blazer for the boardroom.
12. Andersson Bell Trench Pleats Skirt ($111): Man-repelling without even trying pretty much sums up this deconstructed denim ‘n’ pleats skirt that would do Leandra Medine proud. Opt for a graphic tee, shoulder-grazing chandelier earrings, and some free-wheelin’ banana printed pool slides to mix things up.
13. Endless Rose Pleated Maxi Dress ($156): Now that we’ve tracked down the *perfect* pleated maxi (in our eyes, anyway), you can embrace summer wedding season with open arms. Besides ushering in plenty of movement on a hot and sticky afternoon, this striped stunner boasts no shortage of ruffles to keep you interested beyond the first set of “I dos.”
Will you be incorporating pleats into your summertime uniform? Follow us on Pinterest for more fashion inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.