21 Plus-Size Essentials That’ll Reinvent Your Style in 2017
We all know by now that fashion is a cyclical beast. What’s in one season is just as quickly on the outs the next. Our advice: Don’t even attempt to get caught up in the madness. Instead, stay true to your personal style, all the while making sure to take a few well-calculated risks along the way. Let it be known that nothing is off limits — not even that eccentric faux fur topper or come-hither lace-up bodysuit you once deemed too risqué for your squeaky-clean girl-next-door image. Whatever your style resolutions for 2017 may be — whether it’s upgrading your nine-to-five uniform or making a vow to be bolder, smarter and more risk-taking in the sartorial department — fine-tuning your capsule wardrobe shall be your first order of action in the new year. Ahead, we’ve included a shopping list of 21 plus-size pieces that are guaranteed to shape how you dress in the months and weeks to come. You’re welcome.
1. Forever 21 Plus Size Tank Dress ($15): Don’t you dare underestimate the wear-everywhere potential of a simple (and by simple, we mean versatile) tank dress that can be dressed up or down with a few quick swaps. When crunched for time, team this dusty pink layering piece with a fly bomber and suede ankle booties for the ultimate dinner-to-drinks getup.
2. Dorothy Perkins Curve Blue Square Longline Shirt ($49): First things first: You’ve got to do something about your fixation with crisp white button-downs. Major snooze. Introducing the geometric printed longline shirt that will double for the boardroom and networking o’clock. The effortless fit makes it a shoo-in for all tucking purposes — whether you’re mastering a preppy half-tuck or keeping things HR-approved with a sleek pencil skirt.
3. Who What Wear for Target Plus Size Suede Sleeveless Trench Vest ($55): Chic happens, y’all! Ditch the burdensome outerwear for this sleeveless army green suede trench vest that seems to be hinting at an early spring. Perfect your roll-out-of-bed-and-go routine by teaming it alongside a silk dress or some paper bag waist trousers for an instantly polished #OOTD.
4. Nike Sportswear Women’s Plus Size T-Shirt ($40): Spread the word: Logo mania is about to take off. Who knew a previous faux pas could turn out to work in your favor? Not us, but we’re so down. Feast your eyes upon the unassuming gray Nike t-shirt (check out that iconic swoosh) that can be teamed with anything from a swishy accordion pleat skirt to high-performance leggings and Yeezys.
5. ASOS Curve Long Sleeve Midi Bardot Bodycon Dress ($34): File this Bardot-inspired bodycon dress under what to wear for a Valentine’s Day-themed date night, a red carpet-worthy gala or your BFF’s bachelorette party. Pair with a choker necklace and strappy black heels for a showstopping look that’ll never steer you wrong.
6. Missguided Plus Size Black Embroidered Bomber Jacket ($63): B is for bomber jacket that you’ll inevitably wear all day err’day for no shortage of boss lady charm. We’re partial to the mixed floral embroidery on the back that will have you slaying like Beyoncé.
7. River Island Plus Oversized Shirt With Piping ($53): To your dismay (or delight), pajama-style dressing will continue making major headway in 2017. You can either shake your head with disapproval or embrace the most coveted trend of the season with NO regrets. We vote for the latter, ‘cause why would you pass up the opportunity to show up to work in your stay-at-home best — namely, this oversized satin shirt that slays? Fuzzy slippers unfortunately not included.
8. H&M+ Sweatshirt ($35): Hello! Hey! Hi! We *hope* you’re as pumped as we are that fancy sweatshirts are here to stay on for another season. Cue the Bachelor Monday-themed viewing parties that call for — you guessed it — a lazy girl-approved pullover and laid back-chic joggers. When lounging isn’t top priority, take it to the streets with a denim button-front skirt and backless mules that require no introduction.
9. Who What Wear for Target Plus Size Deconstructed Hoodie ($30): As the deconstructed trend gains traction among the street-savvy crowd, don’t hesitate to test-drive the latest piece de resistance to send fashion editors everywhere into a frenzy. Proceed to take it there with this cropped gray hoodie featuring a raw-edge hem and cropped silhouette. Ditch the high-performance leggings and sportswear STAT for a streamlined pencil skirt that means business.
10. Boohoo Plus Hana Running Jogger ($20): Don’t sweat it (seriously, don’t!) — joggers have become so mainstream these days, they’re practically designed to be worn beyond the track. While these olive green joggers are obviously game for a low-key Sunday (hello, drawstring waist), they can be made after-hours-ready with a silk cami and metallic ankle-strap steppers. It’s that easy.
11. Forever 21 Plus Size Winking Eye Sweater ($23): We heart it. This winking eye graphic sweater is just the thing to reach for when the skies are gray and your #OOTD could use a little extra pizzazz. When jeans read too mainstream, a fit-and-flare skirt and retro Mary Janes will have you date-night-ready in a flash.
12. Fashion to Figure Mercury Faux Leather Pencil Skirt ($40): Before you completely write off leather, hear us out. Day or night, work or play, a little leather will lend just the right amount of edge to an otherwise “safe” getup. Think: less promiscuous, more HBIC with lofty goals and places to go. Between the self-tie sash and the incredibly flattering fit, this faux leather pencil skirt can be dialed down with a plain white tee or elevated with a striped turtleneck and power pumps.
13. Who What Wear for Target Plus Size Pieced Swing Top ($30): Equal parts vampy and sexy, this noir lace swing top featuring allover ruffles will serve as the focal point to many a cutting-edge look. Dial it down for the daytime with rolled-up boyfriend jeans and lace-up skimmers before transitioning it for the p.m. with a leather moto skirt and metallic brogues.
14. Old Navy Mid-Rise Smooth & Slim Plus Size Pixie Pants ($47): Plain black trousers, you’ve been replaced. (And we’re not even mad about it.) Meet the winter floral pixie pants that call for a chambray shirt, a vibrant cocoon coat and plain white tennies for a brunch-ready look.
15. Fashion to Figure Pace Hooded Maxi Dress ($49): Alert the masses: Hooded maxi dresses do exist. We’re as surprised and perplexed as you are, but as with all WTF-worthy trends, we’re going with it. Proceed full speed ahead with this figure-enhancing dress featuring a sultry peekaboo slit and sporty stripes. Try Adidas Superstars or sky-high platforms for a street MVP-approved look that reigns supreme.
16. Boohoo Plus Ciara Contrast Faux Fur Parka Coat ($80): On-duty or off, you won’t run out of excuses to reach for this RiRi-inspired faux fur parka that brings the drama. Dress it down with leather pants and Stan Smiths or make it GNO-ready with a lace-up bodysuit, high-waisted jeans and stilettos. Your move.
17. River Island Plus Leopard Print Coat ($121): Season after season, leopard print toppers never cease to amaze us with their sartorial prowess — hence, why they’re a perennial favorite among the fashionably fearless set. Follow in the footsteps of your favorite Instababes by rounding out your look with a chambray shirt, stirrup leggings and Chelsea boots. You don’t have to tell us twice.
18. Forever 21 Plus Size Crisscross Leggings ($25): Not just restricted to a routine trip to the gym, the reign of athleisurewear makes flaunting leggings IRL *almost* too easy. We know this isn’t new news per se, but we figured now would be as good of a time as any to join the femme-leisure movement. To do just that, team these crisscross leggings with a slouchy cashmere sweater (preferably in a punchy fluorescent hue), a leather baseball hat and ugly-pretty glove shoes for a sporty-meets-femme vibe.
19. Missguided Plus Size Burgundy Belted Satin Wrap Jumpsuit ($63): Come again? You’ve never owned a jumpsuit before? Girl, it’s time to join the party! This burgundy stunner (a one-piece wonder, if you will) leaves just the right amount to the imagination for an upcoming black tie affair or wedding reception. Just add chandelier earrings, a hands-free sac and dancin’ shoes for the lewk of the season.
20. Forever 21 Plus Size Floral Maxi Dress ($25): BRB, we’re just counting down the days until it would be statistically possible to venture out in a floral maxi without freezing our butts off. But actually. Between a winter wedding in San Juan (cue the bikinis and sunscreen!) and an early spring break, being equipped with a few warm weather essentials wouldn’t be such a bad idea. *Adds to cart without hesitation.*
21. Mango Zipped Shift Dress ($80): Look good; feel good: Allow this to be your personal mantra heading into the new year. When a classic sheath dress (been there, done that) comes across as stale, kick things up a notch with this edgy shift dress featuring radical zipper pockets. Let it be known: There’s nothing corporate schmorporate about it.
Which of these capsule wardrobe essentials are you looking forward to investing in this year? Follow us on Pinterest for more winter style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.