21 Plus-Size Essentials That’ll Reinvent Your Style in 2017
We all know by now that fashion is a cyclical beast. What’s in one season is just as quickly on the outs the next. Our advice: Don’t even attempt to get caught up in the madness. Instead, stay true to your personal style, all the while making sure to take a few well-calculated risks along the way. Let it be known that nothing is off limits — not even that eccentric faux fur topper or come-hither lace-up bodysuit you once deemed too risqué for your squeaky-clean girl-next-door image. Whatever your style resolutions for 2017 may be — whether it’s upgrading your nine-to-five uniform or making a vow to be bolder, smarter and more risk-taking in the sartorial department — fine-tuning your capsule wardrobe shall be your first order of action in the new year. Ahead, we’ve included a shopping list of 21 plus-size pieces that are guaranteed to shape how you dress in the months and weeks to come. You’re welcome.
1. Forever 21 Plus Size Tank Dress ($15): Don’t you dare underestimate the wear-everywhere potential of a simple (and by simple, we mean versatile) tank dress that can be dressed up or down with a few quick swaps. When crunched for time, team this dusty pink layering piece with a fly bomber and suede ankle booties for the ultimate dinner-to-drinks getup.
3. Who What Wear for Target Plus Size Suede Sleeveless Trench Vest ($55): Chic happens, y’all! Ditch the burdensome outerwear for this sleeveless army green suede trench vest that seems to be hinting at an early spring. Perfect your roll-out-of-bed-and-go routine by teaming it alongside a silk dress or some paper bag waist trousers for an instantly polished #OOTD.
4. Nike Sportswear Women’s Plus Size T-Shirt ($40): Spread the word: Logo mania is about to take off. Who knew a previous faux pas could turn out to work in your favor? Not us, but we’re so down. Feast your eyes upon the unassuming gray Nike t-shirt (check out that iconic swoosh) that can be teamed with anything from a swishy accordion pleat skirt to high-performance leggings and Yeezys.
5. ASOS Curve Long Sleeve Midi Bardot Bodycon Dress ($34): File this Bardot-inspired bodycon dress under what to wear for a Valentine’s Day-themed date night, a red carpet-worthy gala or your BFF’s bachelorette party. Pair with a choker necklace and strappy black heels for a showstopping look that’ll never steer you wrong.
6. Missguided Plus Size Black Embroidered Bomber Jacket ($63): B is for bomber jacket that you’ll inevitably wear all day err’day for no shortage of boss lady charm. We’re partial to the mixed floral embroidery on the back that will have you slaying like Beyoncé.
11. Forever 21 Plus Size Winking Eye Sweater ($23): We heart it. This winking eye graphic sweater is just the thing to reach for when the skies are gray and your #OOTD could use a little extra pizzazz. When jeans read too mainstream, a fit-and-flare skirt and retro Mary Janes will have you date-night-ready in a flash.
12. Fashion to Figure Mercury Faux Leather Pencil Skirt ($40): Before you completely write off leather, hear us out. Day or night, work or play, a little leather will lend just the right amount of edge to an otherwise “safe” getup. Think: less promiscuous, more HBIC with lofty goals and places to go. Between the self-tie sash and the incredibly flattering fit, this faux leather pencil skirt can be dialed down with a plain white tee or elevated with a striped turtleneck and power pumps.
13. Who What Wear for Target Plus Size Pieced Swing Top ($30): Equal parts vampy and sexy, this noir lace swing top featuring allover ruffles will serve as the focal point to many a cutting-edge look. Dial it down for the daytime with rolled-up boyfriend jeans and lace-up skimmers before transitioning it for the p.m. with a leather moto skirt and metallic brogues.
14. Old Navy Mid-Rise Smooth & Slim Plus Size Pixie Pants ($47): Plain black trousers, you’ve been replaced. (And we’re not even mad about it.) Meet the winter floral pixie pants that call for a chambray shirt, a vibrant cocoon coat and plain white tennies for a brunch-ready look.
16. Boohoo Plus Ciara Contrast Faux Fur Parka Coat ($80): On-duty or off, you won’t run out of excuses to reach for this RiRi-inspired faux fur parka that brings the drama. Dress it down with leather pants and Stan Smiths or make it GNO-ready with a lace-up bodysuit, high-waisted jeans and stilettos. Your move.
17. River Island Plus Leopard Print Coat ($121): Season after season, leopard print toppers never cease to amaze us with their sartorial prowess — hence, why they’re a perennial favorite among the fashionably fearless set. Follow in the footsteps of your favorite Instababes by rounding out your look with a chambray shirt, stirrup leggings and Chelsea boots. You don’t have to tell us twice.
18. Forever 21 Plus Size Crisscross Leggings ($25): Not just restricted to a routine trip to the gym, the reign of athleisurewear makes flaunting leggings IRL *almost* too easy. We know this isn’t new news per se, but we figured now would be as good of a time as any to join the femme-leisure movement. To do just that, team these crisscross leggings with a slouchy cashmere sweater (preferably in a punchy fluorescent hue), a leather baseball hat and ugly-pretty glove shoes for a sporty-meets-femme vibe.
19. Missguided Plus Size Burgundy Belted Satin Wrap Jumpsuit ($63): Come again? You’ve never owned a jumpsuit before? Girl, it’s time to join the party! This burgundy stunner (a one-piece wonder, if you will) leaves just the right amount to the imagination for an upcoming black tie affair or wedding reception. Just add chandelier earrings, a hands-free sac and dancin’ shoes for the lewk of the season.
21. Mango Zipped Shift Dress ($80): Look good; feel good: Allow this to be your personal mantra heading into the new year. When a classic sheath dress (been there, done that) comes across as stale, kick things up a notch with this edgy shift dress featuring radical zipper pockets. Let it be known: There’s nothing corporate schmorporate about it.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)