The Latest Pinterest Foodie Trend That’ll Inspire Your Next Meal
If you’ve scrolled through Pinterest lately you may have noticed a new trend creeping up in your feed. No, we’re not talking about Japanese beauty trends or Trumpkins (though we’ll admit we’re totally fascinated with those too). We’re referring to something of the more mouth-watering variety and they’re known as porcupine meatballs. These special meatballs are bound together with rice rather than breadcrumbs, giving them their spiky appearance and their name. Traditionally cooked in tomato sauce, this comfort food dish dates back to your grandma’s dinner table. Lucky for all of us, it’s a trend that’s resurfacing and we’ve gathered up a few recipes so you can jump on the bandwagon.
1. Porcupine Meatballs: You can’t beat the classics. This traditional recipe calls for ground beef, long-grain rice, parmesan and tomato sauce. Serve on its own or over creamy polenta for a hearty meal. (via Yahoo Lifestyle)
2. Porcupine Meatballs in Chipotle Sauce: This riff on tradition adds heat from chipotles and a garnish of fresh cilantro for a southwestern spin. We love it with soft flour tortillas. (via The Wicked Noodle)
4. Cous Cous Porcupine Meatballs: Using soft cous cous as the binder in this recipe makes for a super tender meatball. A dunk in cream of mushroom soup and a bed of egg noodles take this to a new level of hearty. It’s perfect for a cold winter night. (via Sweet C’s Designs)
5. Porcupine Meatballs: Spice it up! This version mixes the meat with a blend of dried spices and Worcestershire sauce for extra depth of flavor. Most of the ingredients are probably already in your pantry, so you can prep a meal in minutes. (via The Recipe Critic)
6. Porcupine Meatballs with Cream Sauce: This dish gives new meaning to meat and potatoes. Porcupine meatballs get baked in a homemade cream sauce and served over mashed potatoes. Can you say YUM? (via Olga’s Flavor Factory)
7. Vegetarian Sweet and Sour Porcupine Meatballs: Vegetarians and carnivores, unite! This veggie version is sure to be a crowd-pleaser, regardless of your dietary preferences. Make them as the main meal or serve them as an appetizer at your next cocktail party. (via Happy Food Healthy Life)
8. Polish Porcupine Meatballs: This recipe was handed down from a Polish grandma, which is probably a sign that it’s good. Like, really good. We also love the short list of ingredients. (via Cupcakes and Kale Chips)
Do you have favorite recipes from your grandparents or great grandparents? Tell us in the comments below.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)