So Apparently Retro Swimwear Is Having a Major Moment
We’re officially at the height of summer, and you know what that means. Time’s running out to snatch up a bangin’ swimsuit that makes you feel like an IRL goddess. Modest is hottest crowd, you’re going to go bananas over the blast-from-the-past swimwear trend that’s currently sweeping the nation. Retro swimsuits are experiencing a major resurgence (yes, AGAIN!), and we couldn’t be more pumped. Think Taylor Swift-inspired high-waisted bottoms and halter-top one-pieces with pinup girl influence. Keep scrolling for 15 flattering throwback swimwear options that deserve a coveted spot in your beach bag.
1. Red Dolly Women’s Pink & Green Cactus Print High Waist Bikini ($87): “Give ‘em what the people want.” Says every cactus enthusiast who’s been anxiously waiting for a retro-inspired bikini to hit the scene.
2. Samantha Pleet Promise Bikini in Clementine ($75): Orange you ready for a summer of scandal? Punny jokes aside, this fluttery bow-tie swimsuit by Samantha Pleet is guaranteed to make headlines by the pool.
3. Poprageous Banana Leaf Two-Piece Swim ($150): You can’t seriously expect to go incognito when your leafy two-piece — inspired by the Beverly Hills Hotel’s iconic Martinique wallpaper, no less — is this fab. You’ll blend right in with the palm trees of paradise.
4. Solid & Striped x Staud Gia Bikini Top ($88) + Solid & Striped x Staud Gia Bikini Bottoms ($88): Don’t be fooled, ladies — this no-frills bikini from cult-favorite swimwear brand Solid & Striped packs plenty of sex appeal (hello, washboard abs). Bonus points for the sporty drawstring waist.
5. ModCloth Coastline Icon One-Piece Swimsuit ($75): Fulfill all your vintage girl dreams with this Americana-inspired one-piece featuring femme scallops and removable halter straps. All that’s missing are some heart-shaped sunnies for shameless selfies at the beach.
6. Panarea Couture Desiree Two Piece Set London Eye ($275): Bombshell babe status = accomplished. And you have Panarea Couture to thank for that. Reach for this balconette style bikini whenever/wherever you see fit for a look that reads world-class traveler.
7. Made by Dawn Shell Picker Top in Cream Rib ($132) + Made by Dawn Arc Bottom in Cream Rib ($156): These decidedly demure ruffled bottoms prove that conservative need not equal matronly. How’s that for some modern-day romance?
8. Seafolly Riviera Striped Boyleg One-Piece Swimsuit ($158): What to pack for your upcoming stint in the south of France? We thought you’d never ask. This noir-striped bathing suit low-key looks like it could be out of The Notebook or any number of Audrey Hepburn-inspired films. The old-Hollywood starlet in you won’t be able to resist.
9. Mara Hoffman Terry Lace Up Front Tank Bikini Top ($155) + Mara Hoffman Terry High Waisted Bikini Bottom ($130): Yachting, parasailing, you name the weekend game plan, and this nautical stripe two-piece will come through. Toss on a chambray shirt and classic Ray-Bans for your daily dose of prep.
10. & Other Stories Graphic Print Padded Bra ($29): The best part about this halter neck bikini top — besides the fun-in-the-sun chevron print, obvi — is its mix ‘n’ match potential. Try retro high-waisted bottoms by day before throwing on denim cutoffs for a late-night beach bonfire.
11. Marysia Palm Springs Scalloped Bikini Top ($150) + Marysia Palm Spring Scalloped Bikini Briefs ($150): A love affair with scallops? Us? Okay, maybe we’re a tad obsessed. Between the high-rise briefs and flattering cut, this Palm Springs-bound bikini is what we like to call a sartorial no-brainer.
12. Fleamadonna Ruffle Bikini Bottom ($100): ‘Cause girls just wanna have fun, and this frilly bubblegum pink bikini makes us feel like Malibu Barbie. Ginormous inflatable swan, you’re invited to the pool party too.
13. Nu Swim Stas Top in Bone ($88) + Nu Swim Mid-Rise Bottom in Bone ($82): Seek comfort in this pared-back bikini that has Bahamas honeymoon written all over it. Our fave part: The no-nonsense bralette and high-rise bottoms will keep wardrobe malfunctions at bay.
14. J.Crew Off-the-Shoulder One-Piece Swimsuit in Postcard Print ($128): Grab your passport, a floppy straw hat, and some woven huaraches — this flouncy off-the-shoulder swimsuit is about to set sail to the Bimini coast.
15. Reformation Hacienda Bikini Top ($78) + Reformation Mandalay Bikini Bottoms ($78): Reformation’s designing swimwear these days… welp, there goes our paycheck. This gingham bikini was made for us gals who love old-school style with an edgy streak.