17 Ultra Romantic Statement Pieces to Invest in This Summer
Between weddings under the stars, romantic candlelit dinners for two and countless GNOs, your summer sched is all about the romance (keeping it or finding it). And let’s face it — your rotation of summer slip dresses just isn’t going to cut it. Get the most out of your lazy girl summer style essentials by adding a slew of off-the-shoulder silhouettes and after hours-approved pieces that BRING the fling. As you embrace a summer state of mind, don’t be afraid to channel your inner vixen and show off a little more leg than you’re used to (hello, peekaboo slits!). Whether you’re coupled up or happily rocking the single life, look no further than these 17 frilly statement pieces that are designed to desire. Girl, you’ve got this.
1. Nasty Gal Fever Trip Halter Dress ($188): Enter the Malibu Barbie-inspired dress of our dreams. Maybe it’s the hot pink chiffon, or perhaps the asymmetrical hemline and criss-cross straps, that make this stunner princess-perfect. Add tassel earrings and sparkly platforms to bring more va-va to your voom.
2. Mara Hoffman Off the Shoulder Romper ($236): This look is all about on-the-go, carefree summer style with a flirty twist. How perfect would this candy striped romper be for an ice cream social or a double date at the county fair? Offset the ruffled off-the-shoulder silhouette with some free-wheelin’ slides (or lace-up sandals if you want to add some oomph), and let the compliments come rolling in.
3. ASOS Midi Embellished Prom Skirt ($122): Turn down the chance to dress like a Disney princess? Not on our watch. From summer wedding receptions to fancy soirees, this swoon-inducing mint tulle skirt is guaranteed to fit the bill for a number of affairs. Pro tip: Team it with a silk cami and metallic steppers for a look that takes you from a.m. to p.m.
4. Mango Off Shoulder Dress ($50): Keep the balmy temps at bay with this breezy cold-shoulder floral dress that’s equal parts sultry and sweet. The ruffled trim adds an element of flirtiness that won’t go unnoticed come happy hour.
5. Elevenses Usoa Eyelet Romper ($128): Honeymooning or spending one-on-one time with your boo in paradise? Say no more! When you’re not frolicking on the beach in a string bikini, don’t hesitate to class it up with this stunning eyelet romper for your very own Roman holiday.
6. For Love and Lemons Pia Crop Top ($149): Sometimes you just can’t beat an off-the-shoulder crop top that can be coordinated with a handful of summer separates (think: palazzo pants, boho maxis and high-waisted shorts). For a game-changing look, reach for your glamtastic chandelier earrings.
7. Kendall + Kylie Gingham Style Silk Skirt ($228): Here’s gingham like you’ve never seen it before — sheer perfection! For a dramatic entrance, style this black and white organza skirt (major swoon) with a black crop top and strappy heels for a summer gala or black-tie wedding.
8. Lucca Couture Ruffle Off-the-Shoulder Blouse ($49): When you don’t feel like getting all gussied up in a floor-sweeping maxi, aspire to do less. Achieve an effortlessly chic look with this pale pink shoulder-baring blouse that has major date-night potential — just slip on some distressed black jeans and lace-up wedges for the win.
9. ASOS Occasion Ruffle Detail Playsuit ($57): Cue your adventurous side with this ruffled light blue playsuit that’s game for dinner and a movie, a stroll along the beach — you name it. Pair it with a hands-free saddle bag and sensible espadrilles for a low-maintenance getup that doesn’t forfeit style.
10. Mango Ruffled Jumpsuit ($80): The next best thing to a one-and-done slip dress is a wear-everywhere jumpsuit that requires zero effort. Right in line with your tomboy sensibilities, this ruffled halter style option is perfect for dining al fresco. Come dusk, you can toss on a lightweight cardigan (or borrow your date’s jacket!) for a laid-back chic #OOTD.
11. Free People LA Babe Jumpsuit ($168): While Coachella-inspired jumpsuits would normally fall under the category of questionable first date attire, this floral one-piece with flared legs and ruffles is definitely the exception. Rock it with natural beach waves and a rad choker for a free-spirited look.
12. Tobi Embroidered Tunic ($92): Turn on the romance even when you’re chillin’ poolside (or hanging in Maui) a la this sheer embroidered tunic featuring a subtle floral design. Whether you slip it over a revealing swimsuit or layer it over a tank top and cutoffs, looking fly on the beach has never been so easy.
13. Free People On My Mind Ruffle Maxi ($228): Is it a head-turning ball gown? Is it a layered maxi-turned-beach-cover-up in disguise? The verdict is in: It’s actually a strapless ruffled maxi top that can be slipped over denim shorts for an I-just-woke-up-like-this look. The metallic detailing is everything, btw.
14. Wildfox Grapefruit Ruffle Dress ($167): The sartorial gods have spoken: Grapefruit printed dresses do exist. If you only invest in one more fruit-themed frock, make it this one (sorry, pineapples — you’ve been replaced). Not only are the ruffles to die for, but the fluid silhouette will keep you cool during the dog days of summer.
15. Zara Shoulder Slit Dress ($50): Busy girls, rejoice! Play it cool with this off-duty shoulder slit dress in a mixed floral print that could even pull double duty at the office. In lieu of accessories, opt for a bold red lip and tassel-adorned leather slides that speak to your straightforward style.
16. Topshop Organza Prom Midi Skirt ($100): Don’t play it safe with a LWD when you can just as easily take it there with this statement-making white organza midi skirt. With the ideal mix of cool-girl flair and capsule wardrobe versatility, it can be teamed with a leather biker jacket and sporty kicks for a look that demands attention.
17. Lovers + Friends Golden Ray Maxi ($230): Salsa dancing with the S.O.? You best be bringing it with a come-hither dress that’s airy enough for endless dips and twirls. This mesmerizing floral maxi with a ruffled neckline and a fierce slit will straight-up slay on the dance floor — we can promise you that.
Follow us on Pinterest for more colorful summer style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.