It’s all about the romance on Valentine’s Day, so a seriously swoon-worthy dress is definitely in order. The day was practically made to shamelessly layer on the ladylike lace, flirty florals and airy, floaty fabrics (maybe even all in one go — you only live once, right?), so you’re totally allowed to go over the top and indulge your hopelessly romantic side. That’s whether you have a fancy dinner date or unforgettable GNO (bae who?) lined up. Even if you’re all about that minimalist style the other 364 days out of the year, let this be the one day when you let loose. Below are 17 OMG-gorgeous Valentine’s Day dresses totally worth the splurge.
1. Reformation Winslow Dress ($268): Hello, gorgeous. This georgette dream strikes the ultimate balance of class and sexiness with an elegant kimono silhouette, plunge neckline and semi-sheer skirt. The best part? Its wow-factor will keep going strong long after you knock the socks off your date, so plan on rockin’ it at everything from your bestie’s nuptials to a swanky Sunday brunch.
2. The Jetset Diaries Goddess in Rome Dress ($268): The high-low hemline, flirty ruffles and criss-cross bust on this brilliant blue stunner are exactly the type of drama you want on V-Day. Play it cool with a sly, “Oh this old thing?” as the compliments start coming in left and right.
3. Forever 21 Flounce Strapless Maxi Dress ($35): If your Valentine’s Day plans include soaking up rays with your toes in the sand, this is the dress you need to take along. Bare shoulders plus a plunging neckline feel so right now, while an all-white palette offers a haute new take on timeless romance.
4. Nasty Gal Say My Name Embroidered Maxi Dress ($198): Unforgettable is your middle name and this DDG dress is proof. Flawlessly fusing ladylike and femme fatale, it makes sure all eyes in the room will be on you. Pair it with simple drop earrings and a sleek bar ring, allowing the dress’s best features to take center stage. Red lip non-negotiable.
5. Talulah Torn Silk Midi Dress ($280): Geometric prints and asymmetric hems are how the modern minimalist does V-Day dressing. The pale pink hue and twirl-worthy silhouette add just the right amount of holiday pizazz. Style it with a messy updo and bright block-heeled mules.
6. Target Scalloped Ponte Sheath Dress ($60): The halter top gets even flirtier with a delicate scalloped edge that helps draw the attention upward. Make the most of it with earrings that sparkle and makeup that mimics the vibe, like a classic cat eye and a glossy lip.
7. For Love and Lemons Juliet Maxi Dress ($365): If there ever was a dress that could sweep you off your feet, it would be this one with its pretty arabesque print and luxe silk fabric. Don’t let the dramatic neckline deter you — there’s a built in bodysuit to keep the girls in check. Pair it with a layered pendant necklace, fancy ponytail and cool cat eye.
8. Zara Lace Print Dress ($100): The slipdress is one of this season’s sexiest trends and it couldn’t have come at a more appropriate time. Layer the ’90s staple over a turtleneck and lace-up heels if plunging temps demand it or play into its bear-it-all appeal with a delicate chain necklace and strappy steppers topped off with a belted longline wool coat.
9. Backstage Farrah Dress ($188): Size matters, or at least that’s what this eye-catching mini dress would have you believe. It makes a mean counterpoint to the less-is-more argument with its exaggerated bell sleeves — a standout detail that truly makes this dress one for the books. Rock it with ankle strap clogs, a dainty lariat necklace and a box clutch.
10. Self Portrait Azalea Dress ($372): Peplums, graphic lace and a pretty periwinkle hue unite to create the Valentine’s date night dress of your dreams. This dress scores major sartorial points for versatility (wear it now and straight through wedding season) and fashion-forward edge, making it worth the splurge.
11. Moulinette Soeurs Sumi Mockneck Gown ($248): An asymmetric hemline puts a modern twist on a retro-inspired gown that exudes Audrey Hepburn-esque elegance. For an it-girl twist, style it with pointed-toe ankle boots and a glam crystal ear crawler. Classic black pumps and bold pearl earrings à la Dior put a new twist on a timeless look.
12. Mango Lace Pleated Dress ($100): If you’re allergic to frill, but want to inject your love-day getup with a bit of that je ne sais quoi, consider this LBD the perfect compromise. The clean cut style feels contemporary and fuss-free, while lace trim adds the subtle note of amour you’re after.
13. Topshop Shadow Jacquard Midi Dress ($160): Let your dress woo your S.O. for you with rose embroidery that rivals any bouquet. Pair it with rose gold heels and a half up braided crown.
14. BCBG Marilee Draped Tier Gown ($398): When you shed your girlboss shell to step into full-on goddess mode you need a dress that doesn’t mess around. This jaw-dropping number just gets you. It delivers big in the romance department with cascading ruffles and pastel pink fabric, but the pop-over cut and asymmetric styling totally appeal to your cutting-edge tastes. Lace-up heels up the ethereal factor, while snakeskin pumps and a sleek metallic collar will make this flirty frock feel runway-ready.
15. ASOS 30s Seamed Short Sleeve Fishtail Maxi Dress ($129): Take your V-Day style on a trip down memory lane with a ’30s-inspired gown in a chic shade of emerald green. The long ruffled-bottom stunner packs major My Fair Lady class and offers a hint of unexpected flavor to your Valentine’s Day look. Slip into a pair of embellished sling-backs and wear your hair long with loose curls gathered into a side-swept style. Add gilded floral hair clips or a statement headpiece for maximum impact.
16. Byron Lars Winter Rose Dress ($398): Boasting not just one, but three different floral patterns and a spectrum of rich red hues, this A-line design straight up wins Valentine’s Day. Platform shoes and classic hoops are an absolute must.
17. Rebecca Minkoff Falcon Embroidered Mesh Dress ($189): This embroidered beauty is full of details you’ll love, like a macramé back and gently flared hemline that’s great for twirling and showing off those gorgeous gams. Look to gilded floral baubles and ankle strap heels to take the look to the next level.
Which of these dresses is your favorite? Follow us on Pinterest for more fun + colorful style inspo.