Fresh and Clean: 30 Scandinavian-Inspired Rooms
Spring brings clarity, purity, un-layering, fresh outlooks and an urge to simplify everything! Scandinavian interiors are trending right now with their fresh-air aesthetic, quality craftsmanship and emphasis on natural light. By using rustic elements and occasional touches of color, Scandinavian rooms are restful and contemporary. Here are 30 beautiful Scandinavian-inspired rooms with fresh ideas on how to spruce up your home this spring!
2. Dash of Glamour: No one said you couldn’t have both glamour and minimalism! Just by adding a crystal chandelier into an otherwise very minimal room, you create a whole new level of sophistication. (via The Klein)
3. Open Shelving: Scandinavian decor is all about functionality and pared-back forms making it the perfect style for utilizing open shelving in your kitchen — like this chic little coffee nook with the monochromatic dishware. (via Daniella Witte)
4. Luxe Home Office: The Scandinavian aesthetic maximizes light, so by using reflective surfaces like this mirrored desk and gold lamps, you can make use of all the available light you have and then fake the rest. (via Design Collector)
6. White Space: In a work space, you don’t want to get distracted. Scandinavian design places function first and then works backwards to see how much they can simplify everything, making it the perfect atmosphere to be incredibly productive. (via My Scandinavian Home)
7. Cheerful Kitchen: Minimal and neutral should never mean boring. Throwing in bright pops of color will add charm to your style. Look for items that add interest, but don’t “shout” or overpower the room. (via Lolalina)
8. Warm Wood: Wood accents play a huge role in Nordic style. You want to create a sense of connection to nature and the outdoors, so choose natural-stained wood and simple furniture pieces like this shelving unit. (via My Scandinavian Home)
9. Rustic Beams: Part of the charm of the look is how versatile it can be. It can be used for a nautical theme, a rustic cabin or a mod industrial look. Here, rough beams give warmth and comfort to an otherwise white room. (via Elisabeth Heier)
11. Black Accents: Industrial chic is perfect for Scandinavian influences. Embrace the monochromatic color palette, but give it an urban twist with layered art and geometric patterned rugs. (via Passion Shake)
12. Light Fixation: Since walls and accessories are kept simple, it can be all about the light fixtures. Think Ikea and go with a huge statement piece that will really pull the room together. (via Homed It)
17. Industrial Kitchen: Let those restaurant kitchen fears subside. Using stainless steel for your cabinets and counters will give them a clean, modern look. Just don’t go overboard. And contrast with a ceramic island and elegant lighting. (via Alexander White)
21. Painted Floors: If you’re hating your dark wood floors, try giving them an instant facelift by painting them white. They’re easier to keep clean than you might think. When you spill that red wine… paint over the stain! (via Draumesider)
22. Brilliant Gallery: The Swedish-approved look is ideal for those of us who live in small spaces. By maximizing light and minimizing clutter, you can make even the smallest of kitchens a happy place to cook. (via Editions Doa)
24. Concrete Bedroom: Instead of a fancy bed frame and dust ruffle (what is the point of that anyway?), try this simple lifted bed that gets you off the floor, but will keep your bedroom beautifully simple. (via Blood and Champagne)
30. Natural Wood: Keeping the color palette in earthy shades of neutrals will give a nature-inspired feel to the room. Plus, spring green plants will look more vibrant than ever against that harmonious palette. (via Haken’s Place)
Which of these Scandinavian rooms inspires you to do some spring updates? Let us know in the comments below!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.