If sushi is the only kind of cuisine that comes to mind when you think of seaweed, prepare to think outside of the roll. There are *tons* of super yummy recipes that make use of this uber-nutritious ingredient high in vitamin K, iron, and calcium, as well as various phytonutrients. So how should you start using seaweed in your daily diet? We’ve got a few ideas. Here are 11 seaweed dinners, from, yes, classic sushi to unexpected and exotic new ideas.
2. Green Superfood Salad: This isn’t your typical seaweed salad. In addition to wakame seaweed, it’s also made with kale, yet another green ingredient that’s jam-packed with beneficial nutrients. (via Tasting Page)
3. Avocado and Seaweed Salad Sandwich: If you have any picky eaters in your family (or brunch crew), sneak them this innocent-looking sandwich and then watch them realize how much they LOVE seaweed. It’s made with tomato, seaweed, avocado, tomato, alfalfa sprouts, and mayo, all sandwiched between two slices of your favorite bread. (via Honest Cooking)
4. Miso Glazed Eggplant Kebabs: These glazed eggplant kabobs are lightly sweetened and incredibly flavorful. They’re coated with the sweetener of your choice — go for honey or maple syrup to keep things natural — and sprinkled with sesame seeds. We recommend serving them over a bed of seaweed and kale salad. (via Natural Girl Modern World)
7. Zucchini Spaghetti With Seaweed Pesto: Here’s an interesting twist for you. Instead of using seaweed as the core component of a dish, this time we’re using it in a pesto! Serve it over spiralized zucchini noodles for a healthy and low-carb treat. (via Adventures in Cooking)
9. Miso Soup: Miso soup is one of those classic Japanese favorites that you’re likely to have encountered on sushi night. But have you ever tried making it at home? With the right ingredients, it’s totally possible — in fact, it has a total cooking time of literally 10 minutes. (via Just One Cookbook)
11: Sushi Bowl: We’re going to round out our list with a creation that healthy sushi-lovers everywhere will absolutely ADORE: a sushi bowl. It’s kinda like a Buddha bowl but made with staples including seaweed, white rice, sesame seeds, edamame, and ginger. (via Fanny the Foodie)
Follow us on Pinterest for more creative and healthy recipe ideas!