New year, new resolutions… and new DIY projects! If “make more things” is topping your list of goals this year (and here are some pretty convincing reasons why DIY really should be your New Years resolution), take advantage of some down time this weekend. After all, this is your chance to finally recover from the holiday craziness and start the year off with a really fun, satisfying DIY project. Whether you want to de-stress your day with an eye mask, cozy up with a new winter accessory or start getting your red carpet game on with Golden Globe DIYs, here are 11 DIY projects to jump-start 2017 in true maker style.
1. DIY Aquarium Umbrella: Rain, rain, come this way, because you’ll actually want to go out and show off this playful umbrella. Print off some paper cutout fish and coral, grab some Mod Podge and take your winter outfit to the next level of adorable. (via Brit + Co)
2. DIY Sequin Fried Egg Sleep Mask: Because the only thing better than getting your beauty sleep is brunch, duh. Make your nighttime routine extra fun by adding sequin fried eggs to a plain eye mask with this easy-peasy DIY. (via A Beautiful Mess)
3. DIY Statement Zipper Turtleneck: Quick heads up: Only tackle this sewing project if you have plenty of time to devote to it. Since the fabric is so stretchy, the trick here is to go extra slow. So grab a cup of cocoa, switch on your new fave show and enjoy some quality time with your sewing machine. (via Brit + Co)
4. DIY Snowball Pillow: If your home is looking a little bleak with all the holiday decorations packed away, bring back some of the coziness with a fab snowball-edged throw pillow. Follow this DIY to make your own pillow from scratch or just add the snowballs to any old throw pillow you have laying around. (via Sugar & Cloth)
5. DIY Blanket Scarf: Speaking of cozy, you can’t go wrong with a blanket scarf when you’re trying to look chic AND stay warm. Best of all, this is a no-sew project, so you can wear it almost instantly. (via Brit + Co)
6. DIY Felt Tote: Need some daily inspiration to stick to those new resolutions and goals? How about this tote that is literally cheering you on every time you take it out? Felt lettering is a great way to make an inexpensive tote look like a million bucks, and it’s super easy to put together. (via The Pretty Girls)
7. DIY Swing Earrings: Jewelry DIYs are just the best: You don’t need to buy a lot of supplies, there’s no huge mess and you can make a pair for all your BFFs in just a few minutes. These minimalistic swing earrings are rocking the right amount of glam, and you can customize the center bead to perfectly match your style. (via Make and Tell)
8. DIY Calendar Clipboard: Is “get organized” on your to-do list this month? Before you panic and start stuffing junk into drawers, start by making your space look uber organized with these colorful clipboard calendars. The calendars are free to download and the chunky clipboard is just the right size for setting up on your desk or bookshelf. (via Damask Love)
9. DIY Printable Golden Globe Drink Tags: Whether you’re hosting or just attending a Golden Globes party this weekend, you’ll need these drinks tags. This printable has all of the 2017 nominees, so you and your friends can each pick your personal faves. (via Sugar & Cloth)
10. DIY Swinging Heart Locket: Yes, your phone is pretty near and dear, but there is something so classic and romantic about keeping photos of your loved ones close to your heart in a locket. Skip the granny version and DIY a super modern swing locket instead. (via A Beautiful Mess)
11. DIY Netflix and Chili Party: The holidays are behind us, and it’s nice to have a bit of breather from all of the parties. Instead of going out, invite your friends to stay in with the ultimate cozy “party.” Whip up a huge pot of chili and have the whole crew over for a binge sesh of your favorite Netflix shows. (via Brit + Co)
We’d love to see your very first DIY of 2017! Show us your project by tagging us on Instagram + using the hashtag #iamcreative!