How to Shop on Vacation Without Filling Your Luggage
We’ve started planning our summer vacations and are dreaming about all of the tokens and souvenirs we are going to find on our adventures. But what happens when you come across that perfect ukulele and you still have 10 days left on your trip? Or you stumble upon a stunning painting that would look amazing on your wall but it can’t be rolled up and stowed away? It’s time you start purchasing these gems, because we teamed up with FedEx Office® to give you six tips on how to vacation AND get all of your keepsakes home in perfect condition.
1. Plan your souvenir wish list ahead of time: Do some research by checking out your favorite travel blogs or Instagrammers to learn what your destination is known for — e.g. the best textiles, best teas or best treats, so you know what the must-haves are and where to grab ’em!
2. Create a multi-city plan: When road tripping and traveling to multiple cities with your besties, space in the car can get a little tight. Free up some room by finding the nearest FedEx Office® to drop off the treasures you collect along the way. They make it so seamless to ship any goody home that we’ve been sending care packages to our besties left and right. Enjoy your driving excursions comfortably and head to your next city worry-free.
3. Stick with souvenirs that are collectable yet sensible: This will help prevent you from buying souvenirs that you’ll never use again. Need to spice up your walls at home? Find a vintage postcard or collectible art print and ship it home so that you don’t have to carry around delicate paper.
4. When buying delicate souvenirs, leave it to the experts: Send gifts to loved ones directly from your travels instead of dragging everything from place to place. This beautiful mirror is far too lovely to risk breaking in luggage, so trust the experts to pack your gift for peace of mind.
5. Look for local unique goodies: Immerse yourself in the culture by seeking items that are specific to your experience and will always make you think of your vacation when you see them. Being San Francisco natives, our must-haves are the Tartine Bread Cookbook, a Heath Ceramics Vase, Ritual Coffee grounds, the WildSam guide to San Francisco and, of course, some cute notebooks from a local bookstore.
6. Find the musical instrument of your dreams: A Hawaiian ukulele or a Nashville-made guitar are just a couple of handmade musical instruments that you can find on your travels. You’d be hard-pressed to pass them up, so visit FedEx Office® to carefully ship your new instrument home while you finish your adventures!
Do you have any vacation shopping tips of your own? Share with us on Twitter at @BritandCo!
This post is a collaboration with FedEx Office®.
Author: Anita Yung
Photography: Chris Andre
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.