In this class, you’ll get access to a freelance artist’s entire process as she creates beautiful hand-lettered designs for clients. If you’ve been wanting to take your lettering skills to a side hustle, this is the perfect course for you!
Your instructor, Joanna, will start by showing you her methods and techniques for sketching and refining a styled lettering layout on paper. Then, you’ll learn how to digitize your lettering art using vectors in Adobe Illustrator. And finally, and you’ll enhance your digital lettering in Adobe Photoshop by learning how to import and apply textures and effects to really make your design pop!
BY THE END OF THIS CLASS, YOU’LL KNOW HOW TO:
- Refine your process from paper to digital.
- Master the Pen Tool in Adobe Illustrator.
- Apply textures and effects in Adobe Photoshop.
- Pro tips for showing off your work on Instagram.
Ready to start your portfolio of digitized lettering designs? Enroll in our Hand Lettering: A Freelance Artist’s Guide online class today!
GET ACCESS TO 8 LESSONS, INCLUDING:
- INTRODUCTION: Learn more about your instructor Joanna, and what you can expect from the course.
- SUPPLIES: In this lesson, you’ll get a quick overview of what supplies you'll need to complete this class.
- SKETCHING YOUR FIRST DRAFT: Joanna will show you how to get started in this lesson by sketching out a few lettering layouts for your final project.
- GET IT READY FOR DIGITIZATION: Alright, you’ve picked your final sketch, now let’s refine it and get it ready to digitization.
- CAPTURING + DIGITIZING YOUR DESIGN: In this lesson, Joanna will show you how to import your sketch into Adobe Illustrator and get it ready for vectorization.
- ADDING EFFECTS IN ADOBE PHOTOSHOP: Learn how to add textures, shadows, and change the colors of your lettering design in this lesson.
- SHARING YOUR WORK: In this lesson, you’ll learn all of Joanna’s pro tips for sharing your work on Instagram.
- FINAL REMARKS: You’ve learned the skills! Now take the principles you’ve learned in this course and create your own portfolio of digitized lettering designs!
LETTERING SUPPLIES FOR THIS CLASS:
- Mechanical Pencil
- Brush Pen
- Kneaded Eraser
- Regular Printer Paper
- Tracing Paper
- Rulers (See-Through)
- Washi Tape
- Laptop with Adobe Illustrator + Photoshop
- Wacom Tablet (Optional)
- Smartphone (to take a photo)
INCLUDED IN YOUR COURSE DOWNLOADS:
- The 10-page course workbook (included in the course downloads)
- Reference photos (included in the course downloads)
- Photoshop textures (included in the course downloads)
YOUR 10-PAGE WORKBOOK INCLUDES:
- A welcome message from Joanna
- A list of supplies for the class
- Rough draft of various layouts for inspo
- A visual guide for plotting anchor points in Illustrator
- Tips for posting your designs on Instagram
- Your final design (reference photo)
About the Instructor
Joanna is a Los Angeles-based Art Director and the lettering artist behind Wink & Wonder. Artistic by nature, she's always had an inclination for hand-drawn work and, when she discovered lettering in 2013, quickly fell in love with the craft. Combined with over 10 years of experience in the creative field, Joanna has since turned her lettering hobby into a steady side business working with local, national and international clients ranging from bridal magazines to greeting card companies, film studios and more.