What you’ll learn in this class:
- What to look for when picking out leather.
- How to reshape the leather into a tray using a technique called “casing”.
- How to tool a rad custom design into the leather.
- How to finish and stitch the tray.
In this class, Natalie will familiarize you with all things leather. You’ll learn about the many types and how to properly work leather into the shape you want. When you’re finished, you’ll have a hand-tooled catch-all tray with a custom design, PLUS the skills to make all the leather goods your heart desires, like wallets, belts, bags and jewelry.
- Introduction + Supplies
- Working With Leather
- Using Leatherworking Tools
- Creating A Pattern Design
- Finishing The Leather
- Sewing Techniques
- Closing Words
All you need to take this course are the supplies listed below and the class worksheet prepared by Natalie that is available for download after purchase.
SUPPLIES NEEDED TO TAKE THE CLASS:
- Heavy Duty Wood Awl
- Waxed Leather Cord
- Upholstery Needle
- Leather Finish (Eco Flo)
- Cutting Mat
- X-acto Knife
- Leather Veg Tan - 4 to 5 oz (1 square foot)
- Stainless Steel Ruler (Cork Backed)
- Bowl of Water
- Cotton Rags
- Cutting Board
CLASS WORKSHEET INCLUDES:
- Design Template
About the Instructor
Natalie started her own modern leather goods line, Canoe in Austin, TX, to follow the tradition of leatherworking and make it her own by designing and creating patterned leather. She enjoys sharing her craft through workshops, collaborations, mentoring apprentices, and speaking engagements.