Learn how to design custom graphics using your own textures and patterns in Adobe Illustrator. In this fun design course, you’ll learn the ins and out of how to add effects to fonts to make unique art prints using some of your favorite quotes and sayings.
Your instructor, Erin Williams of Printable Crush, will start by showing you her process to create a custom hand-painted pattern on canvas. Then, you’ll learn how to upload your pattern into Adobe Illustrator for vectorization. From there, you’ll get an overview of the best fonts to use, how to edit your pattern, and add it into your fonts to finish up your final project: A custom art print that you can print or upload online.
Psst! It’s the perfect class if you’ve been wanting to sell custom prints on Etsy.
STUDENT PERK: Along with this course, you’ll get access to a 5-page course workbook that you can use as a guidebook AND Erin's Adobe Illustrator template as a reference for your final project.
BY THE END OF THIS CLASS, YOU’LL KNOW HOW TO:
- Trace and vectorize patterns so you can easily edit your designs to get it just right.
- Choose font pairings and use the best fonts for integrating patterns into.
- Resize and place your custom textures into fonts.
- Change your pattern colors to easily create multiple artwork options.
Ready to create custom patterns for your digital art? Enroll in our Text Effects in Adobe Illustrator online class today!
GET ACCESS TO 10 LESSONS, INCLUDING:
- INTRODUCTION: Learn more about your instructor, Erin, and what you can expect from this design course.
- SUPPLIES: In this lesson, you'll get a quick overview of the supplies you'll need to complete this class.
- FINDING INSPIRATION: You'll learn Erin's favorite ways to find inspiration when creating patterns and textures in this lesson.
- CREATING PATTERNS + TEXTURES WITH ACRYLICS: In this lesson, you'll learn how to create a unique pattern using arcylic paints.
- PREPARING YOUR IMAGE FOR VECTORIZATION: Erin will show you how to prep your painting to get the best results when digitizing in Adobe Illustrator.
- VECTORIZING PATTERNS: You'll learn how to setup your document and vectorize your pattern using Adobe Illustrator in this lesson.
- CREATING DIGITAL PATTERNS: You're design is vectorized! Now Erin will show you how to edit and clean up your pattern to get it exactly how you want.
- WORKING WITH FONTS: In this lesson, you'll learn Erin's tips for pairing fonts and the best fonts to use when adding patterns and textures.
- FINAL PROJECTS: Now it's time to finish up your project. You'll write out your phrase and apply your pattern to text to make your print pop.
- FINAL REMARKS: You've learned the skills! Now, take the principles you've learned in this course and create all kinds of patterned designs!
SUPPLIES FOR THIS CLASS:
- Paint brush (round tip brush any size)
- Canvas board pack
- Acrylic paints
- Phone (to take photos)
- Adobe Illustrator installed on your laptop
INCLUDED IN YOUR COURSE DOWNLOADS:
- A 5-page course workbook
- An Adobe Illustrator file with Erin's patterns (for reference).
YOUR 5-PAGE WORKBOOK INCLUDES:
- A welcome note from your instructor Erin
- A list of class supplies.
- A reference key for tools in Adobe Illustrator.
- A reference photo of your final project.
- A link to Erin's Creative Market shop where you can purchase patterns and fonts!.
About the Instructor
Erin is the self-taught graphic designer behind Printable Crush where you'll find hundreds of free printables, party ideas, hand lettering tutorials, and Cricut tips & tricks. You can read about her creative escapades on her blog or peruse her online store for digital calendars, hand lettering worksheets, and hand lettered mugs and tees.