“This was my first class with Brit + Co and it won't be my last. It was a great value and I learned a new skill in just a few hours. Thanks, guys!” - Chelsea G., Class Student
Let’s combine some of our favorite things. In this class, you’ll learn how to use watercolors to combine illustrations and florals with lettering. Yes, please!
Artist and illustrator Valerie McKeehan is back to teach you her techniques and tips for creating watercolor designs. You’ll learn how and where to use florals to embellish your letters, the most common readability errors and how to fix them, and the three design principles that Valerie always uses.
BY THE END OF THIS CLASS, YOU’LL ALSO KNOW HOW TO:
- Layout a cohesive design using anchor points, margin lines, and more!
- Use a Micon pen to add in details to your watercolor illustrations.
- Work with watercolor to add embellishments and quotes into your final design.
Ready to add an artful twist to your lettering? Enroll in our Watercolor Lettering and Illustration online class today!
GET ACCESS TO 10 LESSONS, INCLUDING:
- INTRODUCTION: Learn more about your instructor, Valerie, and what you’ll be learning in her class.
- SUPPLIES: Valerie will go over the supplies you'll need to take her class.
- OPPORTUNITIES FOR EMBELLISHMENTS: Learn the best places to us illustrations and embellishments on your lettering designs.
- PRESERVING READABILITY: In this lesson, you'll learn common readability errors you might run into. Valerie will also give you a few tips on how to fix them.
- USING ILLUSTRATED LETTERS: Use Valerie's favorite design principles to create a cohesive illustration.
- SKETCHING YOUR DESIGN: Let's get started on the class project! First step - sketch it out in pencil.
- PAINTING ILLUSTRATIONS WITH WATERCOLORS: It's time to start painting! In this lesson, Valerie will cover watercolor basics. You'll learn how to hold the paint brush, mix colors, water to paint ratios, and more!
- LETTERING WITH WATERCOLORS: Now you'll start outlining and adding embellishments to your lettering.
- FINISHING TOUCHES: Last but not least, start adding finishing touches to your design. Look for holes to add filler to, or use a Micron pen to add fine details.
- FINAL THOUGHTS: You've learned the skills! Now, take the principles you've learned in this course and apply them to all your designs.
All you need to take this class are a few supplies and the 8-page course workbook created by Valerie.
SUPPLIES NEEDED TO TAKE THE CLASS
- Plastic Paint Palettes
- Watercolor Brush - Size 2
- Watercolor Brush - Size 6
- Micron Pen
- Mixed Media Watercolor Paper
- Watercolor Paints
- Paper Towels
- Cups of Water (2)
The colors that Valerie uses in this class are Prussian Blue, Sap Green, Scarlet Lake, Mars Black, and Opera Rose.
THE CLASS WORKBOOK INCLUDES
- A Welcome Note From Valerie
- A List of Supplies
- Tips and Tricks
- The Final Project (For Reference)
- Inspiration To Continue
About the Instructor
Valerie first started her company, Lily & Val, after chalking up whimsical designs for her kitchen. And that’s all it took - she was hooked! Today, her company offers hand-lettered and illustrated creations for all cherishable aspects of life. All designed by Valerie, of course. Her work has been featured in noteworthy publications including Martha Stewart Living, The Knot Magazine, Good Housekeeping Magazine, and HGTV.com (just to name a few!).