5 Life Skills You Should Learn by the Time You’re 35
Even though we might all be a little guilty of some “adulting is hard” thoughts running through our head, for the most part, growing up is a blast. You most likely are making headway on saving for retirement, you can start your day with an ice cream bagel sandwich if you want, and you definitely know how to make runway-approved trends find a home in your closet. But just because we’re growing up, doesn’t mean we know it all. Below, we look at five skills you should probably already have under your belt by the time your birthday cake has 35 candles.
1. Learn to sing ($25-$45). For those of us who are less Lady Gaga, more singing in the shower, learning to sing can have some serious health benefits, like lowering our stress levels and raising our confidence. Reverb makes it easy to hone your skills, connecting you with certified vocal instructors in your community who offer one-on-one lessons or offering up online class options that connect you to an instructor via Skype. (Photo via Getty)
2. Learn to knit ($30). Obviously, if you live in a cold-by-nature city, having the skills to knit your own warm weather essentials can be a lifesaver during the winter months. But even if you live in a pretty warm town year-round (looking at you LA, Miami, and Austin), knowing how to knit can give you an instant, made-with-love housewarming, baby welcoming, or birthday gift on standby. Plus, after you nail the basics, you can head to Target and pick up our Knit a Scarf Kit (which comes with a gift card for a free B+C class!) to keep practicing your skills.
3. Learn how to nail an interview ($39). By the time you turn 35, you’ve already been crushing it in your career and your resume is likely filled with impressive experience and a laundry list of refined skills. Which is why it might be prime time to take the next step within your organization or make a total career switch and pursue a new industry. Either way, knowing how to nail an interview is crucial to future success. This online class led by career expert Lauren Berger will take you beyond the basics to make sure you’re ready to say hello to the next, or new, step in your already successful career.
4. Learn how to cook ($90). If you’re still banking on ramen noodles and PB&Js to get you through the lunch hour and take-out to cover dinner, it’s time to learn how to crush it in the kitchen. Plus, what better way to learn how to cook than by hearing it straight from the pros? You’ll go to Gordon Ramsey’s kitchen to learn how to refine your knife skills and pull a meal together like never before, just in time for the next date night or girls’ night out. (Photo via MasterClass)
5. Learn how to take pro photos with your phone ($29). In this day and age, everyone is a photographer, thanks to our smartphones. But now that a family might be in the mix or more extravagant trips around the world more feasible on the wallet, it’s time to hone in how we capture those memories. This online class will help you learn how to find the perfect light, set up your shot and edit it with in-app filters to make it really pop (and get all the double taps).
Tweet us what skills you’re learning in 2017 @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Featured photo via Getty)