Eat Like a Mermaid IRL With These 10 Spirulina Recipes
Mermaid cuisine is everywhere; there are mermaid toast recipes, cakes, and cafes. But if Pinterest data is correct (and it is), we haven’t reached peak mermaid quite yet. Enthusiasts are taking the trend to a totally new level by eating something real-life mermaids would *actually* chow down on: spirulina, essentially a type of algae rich in protein, vitamins, and minerals. Here are 10 of our favorite recipes.
2. Mermaid Lemonade: Who says mermaids don’t drink lemonade? This refreshing drink offers TONS of health benefits from spirulina, including B vitamins, essential fatty acids, and iron. (via The Glowing Fridge)
4. Spirulina Vegan Ice Cream: Made with just four ingredients (coconut milk, spirulina, cacao nibs, and agave), this ridiculously healthy treat is packed with heathy fats and antioxidants. Plus, it takes just five minutes to make (no ice cream maker required!). (via Eat Good 4 Life)
5. Mermaid Smoothie Bowl: Packed with flavor and heaps of nutrients, this smoothie bowl is as pretty as it is yummy (and healthy). Chia seeds, coconut flakes, blueberries, and spirulina — all bona fide superfoods — round out the list of ingredients. (via The Glowing Fridge)
6. Superfood Piña Colada: There’s no rule that says a drink can’t be healthy AND boozy. Take this piña colada, for instance, which is powered by rum and prepared with coconut milk and pineapple juice. (via Cali Girl Cooking)
7. Energizing Spirulina Smoothie: Here’s another superfood smoothie for you. This one, though, has a slightly different flavor. Boasting peanut butter and cardamom, it’s a slightly more warming kind of concoction. (via In the Mood for Food)
8. Vegan Spirulina Protein Power Bites: These tiny little protein balls really pack a punch. Made from crushed almonds, dates, and spirulina, they’re sightly sweet while still being totally healthy and 100-percent plant-based. (via Vegan Insanity)
9. Glowing Green Spiruina Smoothie: It’s not just spirulina giving this smoothie its gorgeous green color. There’s also kale inside, making this an absolutely BOOMING source of antioxidants. (via Unsweetened Caroline)
10. Superfood Chia Pudding: Last but certainly not least is this totally extra chia pudding. What categorizes it as a superfood pudding, you ask? It’s made with uber-nutritious ingredients like chia seeds, blueberries, avocado, spirulina, bee pollen, and mint. (via The Awesome Green)
Follow us on Pinterest for more healthy snack and meal ideas!