Okay, we admit it — we’re going to miss winter’s snuggly sweaters and #OOTD-worthy coats, but that doesn’t mean we aren’t totally stoked for what spring has in store. Warm weather and much-anticipated sunshine aside, this season delivers big-time in the sartorial department. From effortless spring jumpsuits to sleek culottes and saddle bags, there’s no shortage of on-point pieces to get your capsule wardrobe in tip-top shape for spring. Even better news? You don’t have to clean out your bank account to snag some serious style — unless you want to that is. Either way, we’re giving you the rundown on the spring trends to wear right now, and the accessories, separates and shoes you need to pull them off.
1. Mules: Classic pumps don’t have anything on this season’s must-have stepper. The throwback silhouette can kick it with everything hanging in your closet (so essential), while delivering a major punch of of-the-moment flair. One word: obsessed. Take cropped flares and suede skirts into a seriously groovy place with Zara Braided Slingback Heel Mules ($90) or swap out your standard office footwear for these pale blue Anne Thomas Williamsburg Mules ($283) to give suits and separates undeniably #girlboss edge.
2. Stripes: Linear prints have been a constant over the last few seasons, and they certainly aren’t going anywhere for spring 2016. This time around, it’s all about look-at-me lines and bold color. Go there on your next GNO by stepping out in show-stopping stripes à la this ASOS Belted Jumpsuit With Kimono Sleeve ($82) that’s ready to partay — just add abstract statement baubles and slip-on mules. If upgrading your weekend essentials is on your to-do list and budget ain’t no thang, these Mih Jeans Canyon Stripe Pants ($365) are it.
3. Saddle Bags: Whether you’re all about that minimalism or live for those free-wheelin’ vibes, a saddle bag is THE accessory you need in your arsenal this season. Trade out your bucket or backpack sacs for this versatile style that can kick it off-duty or after hours, no problem. Look to patchwork denim-inspired styles like this ALDO Saddle Bag ($63) to put a modern-muse-meets-’70s-style-goddess finish on everyday basics. Or, for a bit of free-wheelin’ appeal, pair this tasseled Rebecca Minkoff Nubuck Isabel Saddle Bag ($295) with a flowy floral midi dress and clogs.
4. Prairie Florals: What’s spring without a few floral prints? But not just any blooms will do this season. Prairie chic is taking the fashion world by storm, meaning dainty blossoms reign supreme. These Mango Floral Print Trousers ($80) give an unexpected silhouette, and offer the ultimate blend of boho and urban aesthetics. And painted-on billowy frocks like this Nasty Gal Vintage Floral Excellence Midi Dress ($258) — they’re a festival-loving femme’s dream.
5. Industrial Jewelry: Inject a femme fatale-feel into everything from just-your-average denim to streamlined sheath dresses with an & Other Stories Square Bar Double Ring ($145) and a Lady Rebel Triple Cuff ($185), which straddle the line between sweet and sassy. Consider this your new signature move come Monday and big-meeting days.
6. Slip Dresses: Channel your inner Kate Moss (a.k.a. style-goddess-bad-ass) with a slinky slip dress when you’re go-to LBD starts to feel meh. This Reformation Cabot Dress ($248) stunner has every spring wedding and event on your iCal covered; simply change up your accessories and fancy footwear to keep it feeling fresh all reason long. And just in case you can’t get enough of the slip dress’s undone elegance, slip into this swoon-inducing Free People Serious Babe Romper ($68) for endless lazy-girl-at-home vibes.
7. Athletic Sandals: ICYMI, athleisure is a thing and it isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. Bust out of your joggers and trainers routine and transition your activewear attire to spring with sandals that scream fit-girl fabulous. Go throwback (waaaaay back) with a pair of Adidas Originals Adilette Pool Slides ($30), teamed up with an architectural romper and quirky camera bag. For a look that reads runway ready, try these All Black Sporty Cross Flats ($155) on for size.
8. Off-the-Shoulder Tops: This flirty silhouette transcends style categories. Whether you subscribe to a classic, boho or grunge aesthetic, the styling opportunities are endless for this shoulder-bearing top. Take a Zara Striped Off-the-Shoulder Top ($36) on your next getaway to rock with a straw fedora and gladiator sandals as you sip spicy margaritas in the sun. Bonus: Oxford-inspired numbers like this Recto Off Shoulder Shirt ($189) can easily be layered over a classic tee to give your on-the-clock style a much-needed new season boost.
9. Chokers: This season’s style mantra is definitely less is more. Exhibit A: the choker. Understated styles like this Vanessa Mooney Bolo Wrap Choker ($43) have the enviable ability to perk up any outfit while flying under the radar, so you can can put it on repeat throughout the week. If your stash of statement jewelry is starting to feel tired, throw this Janna Corner Opal and Lapis Nava Choker ($168) into the mix. The vibrant stones and sleek gold serve up just enough wow-factor to get you noticed without going over the top.
10. Bomber Jackets: Enter the jacket you’ll be living in all season long. The bomber has received must-have topper status for spring, so best be adding one to your sartorial ranks. The minimalist satin style of this Silence + Noise Bomber Jacket ($79) offers denim and midi skirts alike a touch of athletic edge, while more stylized takes on the classic jacket, like this Banana Republic Bomber Jacket ($168), are made for standing out. (Because sometimes you just need to go all-out).
11. Wrap Skirts: They say you shouldn’t mess with a classic — and we totally agree — but the wrap skirt phenom is proof that there’s an exception to every rule. Purposeful layering adds a hint of texture and visual intrigue to even the most basic of skirts. Say no to a little drama? Never. Get into the swing of spring with an Vanessa Virginia Fringed Wrap Skirt ($98) that fuses two of this season’s biggest trends — stripes and fringe — and is a shoo-in for island getaways and picnics in the park. Or up your game with an anytime-appropriate Madewell Suede Wrap Skirt ($298) and a floral cold-shoulder top.
12. Cold-Shoulder Tops: While off-the-shoulder tops might be a bit too casual for the office, a cold-shoulder top is totally fair game. Style this ASOS Cold Shoulder Top ($51), or a collared variety, over wide leg trousers and metallic Oxfords for a boardroom-ready look that straight-up slays. Or flirt it up on date night with this Reformation Hibiscus Top ($128) and high-waisted jeans, drop earrings and glove shoes for a getup that gets the It-girl seal of approval.
Follow us on Pinterest for more spring style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.