You know that feeling when you’re head-over-heels in love with the It accessory of summer, but aren’t so keen on the steep ticket price? Same, girl, SAME. But that’s where we put our foot down. Starting now, allow your summer mantra to be: See it, want it, make it. We don’t care if you’re a master seamstress or a beginner pattern maker — all it takes is a little imagination and you’ll be in the running for the prestigious title of Miss DIY Queen. Keep scrolling for 11 stylish do-it-yourself projects (everything from a vacay-bound clutch to those ubiquitous pom-pom sandals) that’ll get you noticed by the pool.
1. DIY Pom-Pom Shirt: We’re smitten with this whimsical pom-pom shirt for obvious reasons (ahem, dem poms!). Give us a needle, some thread, and an old t-shirt — and we’ll get to work. Not too shabby for a $10 budget! (via Lovely Indeed)
2. DIY Tassel Mule Sandals: Millennial pink mules of yesterday, you’ve been replaced. Take your obsession with tassels to the next level with these cha-cha-ready mules that may cause a spontaneous dance party. (via Aww Sam)
3. DIY Watermelon Floppy Hat: Sorry, not sorry, but this working gal doesn’t have the funds for one of Eugenia Kim’s celeb-approved embroidered straw hats. But you can DIY your very own floppy watermelon hat, and that’s kind of like the next best thing. (via Studio DIY)
4. DIY Tie Strap Upcycle Top: Playful shoulder ties are still having a moment — as are circus tent stripes — and now we’ve got a DIYable version to hold you down for the rest of summer. This babe transformed a thrifted button-down (go up at least two sizes for a relaxed fit) into a charming summatime top with no shortage of girl-next-door appeal. (via One CrafDIY Girl)
5. DIY Lace-Up Swimsuit: Hautest swimsuit of summer ‘17 on a dime? Right this way. Get in on the season’s swipe-right-worthy lace-up trend a la this fun DIY swimsuit (try a sultry one-piece or flirty bikini top) that’s just a wee bit nautical. Watch out, Marysia Swim! (via A Pair & a Spare)
6. DIY Vacay-Bound Straw Clutch: Beach, puh-lease. Decide on a catchy phrase and this statement-making straw clutch can be all yours. Use a hot glue gun to add in some cool flair (a decorative daisy trim! Rad iron-on patches!) and you’ll be counting down the days ‘til vacay. (via A Beautiful Mess)
7. DIY Painted Ice Cream Sprinkles Shoes: Sprinkles on top, please. From Coney Island adventures to National Ice Cream Month celebrations (oh yeah, we’re already a step ahead of you), these totally Instagrammable kicks can be yours in just a few paint strokes. (via Dream Green DIY)
8. DIY Jungle-Inspired Shorts: Maybe you’re heading to Bora Bora, or perhaps it’s the Florida Keys for you. Either way, you won’t want to embark on an upcoming tropical excursion without these palm leaf-inspired shorts. (via Park & Cube)
9. DIY Summer Shift Dress: Who would’ve guessed this Montauk-bound striped shift served a past life as a tablecloth? Not us. It just goes to show what a little upcycling can do — use another dress as the base pattern and follow the steps accordingly for your own summertime frock. (via Paper & Stitch)
10. DIY Fruit Pocket Tees: Lemme tell you — these hand-painted pineapple and strawberry pocket tees are the real MVP of summer fashion (AKA, you’ll reach for ’em every. Single. Day.). (via Damask Love)
11. DIY Lace-Up Pom-Pom Sandals: Well, hello, made-for-cruising-along-the-boardwalk pom-pom-strewn sandals. These repurposed lace-up steppers can be done in an afternoon’s work — all you’ll need is an assortment of poms and wood beads, and voila. (via I Spy DIY)
Which of these playful fashion DIYs will you be attempting? Follow us on Pinterest for more colorful summer style!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.