First things first: Did you cry at Paper Towns or drool over Jake watching Southpaw this weekend? Both? Okay, good, glad I wasn’t the only one. Now that we got that out of the way, let’s get down to business — aka commuting. For that time between work when you’re not busy prepping for Lollapalooza and celebrating this week’s random holidays — National Lasagna Day + National Cheesecake Day — entertain yourself with a must-watch summer series, an inspiring podcast + book, a dog that’s probably cooler than you and an essential Twitter companion app. Have at it, people!
1. UnREAL (Available on Amazon, iTunes + Lifetime): I’m sure you’ve heard of this buzzy summer drama at least once or twice the past few months, especially if you’re a Bachelor/Bachelorette fan. Instead of going through withdrawal after Kaitlyn picks her beau this week, skip Bachelor Pad and turn on this Constance Zimmer + Shiri Appleby-led series that will suck you in from the first seconds. Even if you aren’t into the dating show, any reality TV lover will thoroughly enjoy the BTS action the producers get into to create moments for their series (heads up, there’s some seriously scandalous stuff going on). TL;DR: behind-the-scenes producer drama + on-camera contestant spectacles = a binge-worthy series.
2. Magic Lessons With Elizabeth Gilbert (Available on iTunes, Soundcloud + Stitcher): Ahead of her next book Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear, Eat, Pray, Love author Elizabeth Gilbert is helping listeners cure any creativity blocks they may be enduring through this new podcast. Through Elizabeth’s chats with experts and people facing creative challenges, you’ll be getting weekly doses of advice and inspo, ultimately creating a road map to a creative path in your professional + personal life. Sounds like the perfect companion to that 8am coffee.
3. Follow @bonosurfdog: It’s no secret that we’re dog lovers, and we love having them at the office here at B+C. While we thought our office would be impressive enough for a dog, we totally claim defeat to this duo. Bono the surf dog’s owner takes him to work, but he doesn’t sit under his desk — he hangs 10 alongside him in the ocean. Scroll through this account, endlessly double tap and then feel like now you’ve gotta compete with animals for your cool card.
4. The Book of Doing and Being: Rediscovering Creativity in Life, Love and Work by Barnet Bain (Available on Amazon, Barnes + Noble, Books-A-Million, Google Play, iBooks + IndieBound): Since we can never get enough insight into becoming a more creative person, we’re all about this book from award-winning filmmaker Barnet Bain. With this book, filled with 40 different assignments, you’ll be unlocking your inner imaginative spirit that may be underused. Through exercises guided by clarity, humor and insight, you’ll be taking on creativity principles and practices to dive into your own imagination and becoming a more creative person, all before your first morning meeting. We’re sure you’ll be passing this book around the office.
5. Storyline (Free on iOS + Android): If Twitter’s layout stresses you out just as much as your constantly increasing inbox does, you need to DL this app ASAP. By clustering tweets together to look more like a messaging app, you’re able to quickly favorite, RT and reply to content without getting lost in the noise. Getting to social media zero *may* actually be a reality (LOL, yeah right).
Got any extra commute picks for the week? Share them with us in the comments.
(Photo via @bonosurfdog)