Spice Things Up With These Tofu Scramble Tacos
Are tacos one of those foods you could literally eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner? Well then, you’re like me. Tacos have become one of my go-to weeknight recipes because they can be thrown together in a short amount of time, and they can also be a well-balanced trifecta of vegetables, carbs and protein. Tofu scramble is a common vegan breakfast recipe, yet it makes a great filling for tacos too. See — it is possible (and healthy) to eat tacos all day every day.
(makes roughly 8 6-inch tacos)
- 1 package extra firm tofu
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1/2 cup yellow onion diced
- 1/2 cup tomato diced
- 1/2 cup corn
- 2-3 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 Tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package 6-inch whole wheat tortillas
- green onions
1. Heat olive oil in skillet on medium heat.
2. Open package of tofu and press while vegetables are cooking.
3. Add onion and bell peppers. Sauté until onions are translucent.
4. Remove tofu from press and crumble over vegetables.
5. Add corn and diced tomatoes and cook for 1-2 minutes.
6. Add taco seasoning, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper.
7. Warm up tortillas in microwave or oven set at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for a couple of minutes.
8. Cook for an additional 5-7 minutes.
9. Remove from heat and serve in tortillas.
10. Top with sliced avocado, green onions and cilantro.
Start by pressing your tofu. You can use this simple plate method by sandwiching the tofu block between paper towels and plates. You can also find tofu presses online.
Heat olive oil in skillet on medium heat. Add diced bell pepper and onions and cook until onions are translucent.
Crumble tofu using your hands or a fork.
Add remaining ingredients and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes.
Warm tortillas up and add tofu scramble.
Top with sliced avocado, cilantro and green onions. If you like a little spice in your life, like I do, add some hot sauce.
Vegan tacos never looked so good.