22 Clothing Items That Will Make You *Feel* like You’re on a Tropical Vacay
Like most of us, instead of workin’ on your tan, you’re stuck in your cubicle working the nine-to-five grind. Beautiful blue skies and scorching temps aside, your office, as you know it, might as well be an igloo. While a spontaneous getaway to the tropical destination of your dreams isn’t in the cards (right now, anyway), a beachy wardrobe is. To channel instant island vibes no matter where you are, allow these 22 clothing items and accessories to bring the beach to you. Sand and surf, unfortunately, not included.
1. Alaia Short Beach Dress ($142): Could’ve fooled us! Business in the front, fringe party in the back. This coral slip-on dress calls for a backyard tiki hut shindig. Or, better yet, wear it as a bikini cover-up for a spontaneous jaunt to the park.
2. Poppy Flamingo Fling Bikini ($89): Just because you’re not vacationing in the Hamptons doesn’t mean that you can’t don the most coveted bikini of the season. Triangl, we’re looking at you and your oh-so-colorful sets.
3. Geo Brushstroke Short ($70): Could we, or couldn’t we, get away with showing up to work in these painterly brushstroke shorts? We’re voting for the former by dressing them up with a classic white button-down and nude flats.
4. Paul Andrew for J.Crew Fringe Flats ($398): The redeeming factor of putting in all those extra hours at work? More money for your “fashion emergency” fund. While these vibrant blue-fringed sandals don’t come cheap, they’re definitely worth the splurge.
5. Tropical Gangster Pouch ($65): Don’t let our professional attire fool you. Deep down inside, we’re really all just #tropicalgangstas 4 life.
6. Taurus Dress ($198): One Moroccan-inspired tassel dress coming right up. The effortless fit + plunging neckline will have you channeling lazy days spent soaking up ALL the rays.
7. Smoking Slipper Embroidery ($65): Pineapples FTW! If you can dig it, these coral smoking slippers — adorned with our favorite tropical fruit of choice — are guaranteed to elevate any #ootd.
8. Pineapple Express Studs ($18): …because your everyday studs simply won’t do. Start sporting these gold pineapple studs to work and watch the compliments roll in.
9. Crochet-Trimmed Maxi Dress ($33): Wear this easy-breezy, summery maxi and you’ll transform into a beach goddess for the day. This sheer, ivory option would be perfect for any summer soiree or candlelit dinner. Gold gladiators sandals are non-negotiable.
10. Pineapple Box Crossbody ($34): #SorryNotSorry, but we’re riding this pineapple infatuation for as long as we can. Just when we thought that pineapples had reached their limit, this see-through crossbody box enters into the equation.
11. Barbados Bikini Top ($108): Got neon? This lime racerback bikini top with rad cutouts on the back is most definitely Barbados-bound. Can you feel the sand between your toes yet?
12. Quay Cha Cha Sunglasses ($50): We can’t explain it, but there’s something uber rewarding about investing in a new pair of sunnies. These are pretty far out.
13. Zinc Linen Wedge Sandal ($239): Too much color… said no one ever. If you’re not sporting these color block espadrilles — in electric blue, no less — then you’re really not doing it right.
14. Island Ribbon Panama Hat ($60): Fake it until you make it with this straw Panama hat that practically calls for a margarita in hand. Beach waves on fleek.
15. Tunic Dress in Tropical Toucan Print ($189): When major FOMO hits, you do the next best thing and throw the most epic luau of the summer. As you reprise your hostess-with-the-mostess duties, only the most tropical shift dress (and lei) will do.
16. Antiqua Tassel Bib Necklace ($48): Get ready for the summer hack of the century: Be it a halter top or a maxi, this bib necklace will instantly inject some serious island appeal to any look.
18. Festival Leather Gladiator Sandals ($64): Oh yeah, now we’re talking. You simply can’t be summoning beach vibes while parading around in pointed-toe pumps. Try on these lace-up gladiators and a pair of denim cutoffs and you won’t be trailing too far behind.
19. Tropical Print Workout Leggings ($23): Negative energy begone. After a looong day of work, these palm-tree-printed leggings will bring out your inner peace and serenity.
20. Cutout Maxi Dress ($298): Leave it to Mara Hoffman to cure all of our wardrobe woes. We asked for the beach at our fingertips, and she proceeded to conjure up the kaleidoscope dress of our dreams.
21. Green Stripe Baby Doll Dress ($64): Give this baby doll dress a twirl and you shall not be disappointed. The bold color block design + groovy bell sleeves invoke visions of a Caribbean paradise.
22. Tropical Navy Romper ($203): Why anyone would romp around town in anything besides this tropical playsuit is beyond us. With fringe sandals on and a straw tote in tow, the only thing missing would be a fruit smoothie.
Which of these tropical-inspired pieces will you be rocking this summer? Tell us in the comments below!
It can be intimidating to step out on your own and build a business from the ground up. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're talking with Selfmade alum and solopreneur Colette Lawrence, the faith-based motivator and relationship builder behind The M.E.E. Movement, about ways in which women in business can find success.
B + C: How did you know M.E.E. Movement was your business to start?
The M.E.E Movement represents motivation, empowerment, and encouragement for women. It is what represents me. I did not know at first that it was my business to start, but then the thought of monetizing what I loved came to me. It scared me, however. I registered the business in July 2020 and have been slowly building my wings since.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
Thinking through and researching what the requirements are to start my business, and then asking questions of people who are in the business. Not all advice worked; however, it helped me to figure out what I needed to do and not to do.
B + C: Did you always know life coaching would be your entrepreneurial path?
(Smiles) No, I did not. I 'stumbled" on it. I knew that people were always coming to me for advice and I found that I loved having conversations with them, especially with women, young and old.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
My most valuable takeaway was the first day of training: Get out of your own way. There were a lot of great moments and important takeaways from every presenter. However, getting out of my own way, pushing past doubts, was for me my most valuable takeaway. Doing something that I had never done before took courage. If I do not focus on what is happening with me mentally then I cannot deliver to my clients successfully.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Get out of your head. You have something to offer. You have what you need to succeed so go ahead and do it.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I stay motivated by listening to music and listening to motivational speakers, and sometimes someone will just reach out and talk about the impact that I made in their life. That adds the extra juice or sauce I need to pummel through the day.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip?
Keep a diary and journal. It's the best way for me to keep organized and it also provides a source motivation as I record not only my "losses" but my wins as well.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Shirley Toliver – She motivates and empowers and makes me always want to show up.
B + C: What has receiving the Office Depot scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start or grow your business?
The scholarship was a blessing in that all the areas that were covered offered valuable information that I needed, from social media to HR. As a new business owner, I needed to know this to increase my own personal awareness in what it takes to run a successful business. The candidness of the presenters made it easy to see myself in their shoes and helped me to realize that I can also get there.
Want to feel motivated to take the next step for your business? Let Office Depot OfficeMax give you the confidence you need with a suite of business services & solutions to help you put your best foot forward. Make a good first impression with business cards & build the business pitch of your dreams with custom presentations. With Office Depot OfficeMax you'll find the tools to reach new customers with confidence.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.